Security Installer Community

When to Replace PIR's?

djrock

Hello, No i am ok at opening pirs and the control panel. Its just i am not 100% sure on testing resistance with the multimeter. I work with computers so i know how careful you need to be when opening them up and adding devices to them. I take its the same for alarm systems except you can have bare wires which could short if you remove the wires from the device.

djrock

If I followed you correctly you have a six core from your panel to a pir then of to another ?.

As a temp fault finding test why not take the white/green out of the tamper at the first pir. Join it straight through to the other pir, then put the wht/gn into a cct at the panel. This should make fault finding a lot better.

To sum up, common pos & neg from panel to both pirs

blue/yellow to first pir

white/green joined through at first pir,giving you a cct pair at

second pir

Hope this helps as a temp fix, remember your pirs will not be tamp protected.

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

Hello, Yes i think i understand what you mean PJF is removed the tamper on both pirs so i can split the second pir to it own zone using what use to be the 2 tamper wires. Also making sure to remove any series wiring.

djrock

Guest MSI New York
If you're unsure on checking resistance then maybe opening up PIR's and alarm panels isn't for you after all.

69918[/snapback]

:lol:

That was mean.

Instead of rewiring, you could change the 2 pir's that are on the same zone to a latching type, the ones you already have may even have this facility.

As long as these 2 pir's are not on the exit route it will not cause you a problem, you may have to fit a 'reset' switch if your panel does not have a latch reset output.

Still easier than rewiring tho.

:P

• 4 weeks later...

Try spliting the two P.I.Rs into seperate zones if you only have 2 alarm wires avaliable then see if you can wire them deol, or seol-o/c tamp, depending on what alarm system you have. Then if it false alarms again then you will know which device it is ,then i would probably change it.

Archived