Security Installer Community

Speech dialler cables outside

Guest gary

I thought BT cable was only 2-wire anyway up to the master socket. And it's illegal to meddle with it too!

Once you're past the master socket it's usually 4 or 6 core and only 3 cores are used in most domestic setups, but as someone else noted voltages can be quite high and very variable so interference would be a potentially nasty problem, maybe worse than mains. I wouldn't touch it with your bargepole :!:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought BT cable was only 2-wire anyway up to the master socket. And it's illegal to meddle with it too!

70206[/snapback]

Only 2 wires are used up to the master socket but BT usually run a 2 or 3 pair drop wire to the house, unless you're in an old house with some of that 1 pair speaker cable type stuff they used to use lashed round the outside of the house!

Only 2 wires are used up to the master socket but BT usually run a 2 or 3 pair drop wire to the house, unless you're in an old house with some of that 1 pair speaker cable type stuff they used to use lashed round the outside of the house!

70209[/snapback]

Drop wire 3. 1 pr Steel insulated.

Drop wire 10. 1 Pr of copper wires with 1 steel tension strand

Drop wire 12. 2 pr of copper wires with 3 steel tension strands

Drop wire 14. (Also known as Cable Aerial Dropwire 55) 4 pr copper wires with 3 steel tension strands.

And Know I wouldn

Drop wire 3. 1 pr Steel insulated.

Drop wire 10. 1 Pr of copper wires with 1 steel tension strand

Drop wire 12. 2 pr of copper wires with 3 steel tension strands

Drop wire 14. (Also known as Cable Aerial Dropwire 55) 4 pr copper wires with 3 steel tension strands.

And Know I wouldn

Archived