Security Installer Community

External gate sensing

Guest heliart

Guest heliart

This was covered in another thread of mine, but I'm interested in whether any of the professional installers would do a cable run to a set of driveway gates and a side gate? I had a little resistance on the last company I was talking to.

Here's my idea. I have two sets of driveway gates. The left hand set I use all the time, and the right hand set is mainly closed at it's only used when I take my motorhome out.

Now, I would like the right hand set and the side gate to be on their own area (Texecom speak) and armed all the time.

Then, I would like the left hand gates on their own area and set to chime when opened.

What sensor types would be a good bet here.

I would think simple magnetic sensors would work, but how would the installed cable them up, and would they be weather proof, i.e. frost safe etc?

Thanks again,

Steve

What sensor types would be a good bet here.

I would think simple magnetic sensors would work, but how would the installed cable them up, and would they be weather proof, i.e. frost safe etc?

Magnetic contacts would work but could be an expensive option as they are labour intensive compared to movent sensors which would be equipment expensive and not as particular. Yes they should be weatherproof however advising you without seeing the situation in question is fairly difficult and i wouldnt like to say one way is better than the other for you.

Guest IM_Alarms

with magnetic contacts, if the gate is an open metal grill, then a thief could easily substitute the magnet to enable the gates to be opened without setting the system off. I would go for beams too, and remember not too low or every cat will be setting it off all the time.

I have an aritech rsd contact on my back gate armored through the wall to a jb in the garage,its been on there 5 years and still ok. Its on to my alarm just for chime so i can tell if the kids leave the garden so it wont set the alarm off when set, it works a treat.

Archived