Security Installer Community

help!!!how do wire my pir's???

Guest ziph

One of my service engineers is notorious for scrounging cups of tea, so I made a sign up to hang round his neck. It said "Dont feed the animal"

what about when you wernt with him? Who fed you then?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I thought they where going towards needing qualifications to install intruder alarms, to stop anyone doing it? but a lot of people that been in the industry a long time automatically get "granddad rights" ?

I got NVQ level 3 in both intruder hold up alarms and fire detection, seems almost a waste if all you have to do is train with a company for a few years to get granddad rights ! 

Edited by dazoman1

it makes sense you have 17th edition regs for sparks ( which I know is more in depth to H&S) but still, intruder is still a peace of mind that needs to be installed to right grading and class?

We all can know we could wire T&E but we don't cause its not allowed ( Don't want to get onto the 4mm Cubit )

my understanding is insurance wise has to be a registered company.. should employees be qualified too ?

scenario

so a butcher looking for a new carrer that installed his own house alarm and a friends, now joins a alarm company ( blagged his way in )  is out installing and service alarm systems, does he know what hes doing ?

simple things like a grade 3 is he putting the screw for the back tamper or just going top and bottom fixings ?!?

so you agree each individual should be qualified ?

Or trained to a standard.. Like fire detections has its FIA courses

maybe intruder should have NSI courses?

I believe each individual should have to prove competence and continued proof of competence. Fire detection has no mandatory requirements so the fia courses are pure voluntary. Edited by matthew.brough

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

but FIA is still a body which allows to show knowledge and competence, where intruder does not?

I applied for a vacancies and they kept saying they wanted FIA engineers, ive studied for 3 years for my NVQ 3 in fire detection and they wanted a person that attended a day course?

^ went abit off topic

but still they should be enforcing NSI training or some sort of competence training on intruder !

I think the fia is brilliant in what they offer and no slur offered. The problem is the only people who will do them are people that care which the vast majority do not.

I was looking at a load of public sector contracts for maintenance of fire alarms. Awarding criteria. Price. With the customer wanting to pay tuppence is it any wonder alarm companies cut so many corners?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

some corners should not be cut!

attended a site with a break in, bells onlys, bell was not serviced correctly so didn't go off and internal bell was pulled off the wall?

On all services especially on a bells only contract, that ext bell should be looked and tested each time I don't mean do a output test blah blah I mean get up there give it a clean and check it correctly, really narks me that not a lot of people do... and for the internal bell! well that should of been installed a lot higher then arms length.

its just commen sense that no one follows

We've made the threat before (hence why I did mine 10 years ago) but Adrian seemed to have confidence?

I've explained before, it ain't gonna happen without there being a **** up.

Step forward all the managers and owners with relevant quals?

Come on now, don't all rush at once.

scenario

so a butcher looking for a new carrer that installed his own house alarm and a friends, now joins a alarm company ( blagged his way in ) is out installing and service alarm systems, does he know what hes doing ?

simple things like a grade 3 is he putting the screw for the back tamper or just going top and bottom fixings ?!?

We've all seen enough evidence to show there are many out there currently that haven't a Scooby. Chaps and companies alike.

using the old fallback of accreditation is frankly, laughable

Edited by Cubit