Guest heliart

Guest heliart

Anyone care to comment on this quote:-

Texecom 48

5 Pet Immune PIRs

1 Smoke Detector

1 Door Switch

Voice Dialler

Install, but I have to run the cable externally along the fence to my workshop myself!!

Around £1200 inc VAT.

I don't know the cost of the control panel but he most definitely is not doing you any favours. Does it include a new external SAB, extension speaker, decoy bell etc.?

What is going in your workshop? The cable needs to be protected (it can take an entire day to fit tubing to a higgledy-piggledy fence of about 20-25 metres). Also don't know the size of your house...

Is he using existing cable that he knows to be working or does it all have to be checked out/replaced?

Is any maintenance included?

Depending on the above, I would say a price should be between £850 and £1200 including VAT

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

I don't know the cost of the control panel but he most definitely is not doing you any favours. Does it include a new external SAB, extension speaker, decoy bell etc.?

What is going in your workshop? The cable needs to be protected (it can take an entire day to fit tubing to a higgledy-piggledy fence of about 20-25 metres).  Also don't know the size of your house...

Is he using existing cable that he knows to be working or does it all have to be checked out/replaced?

Is any maintenance included?

Depending on the above, I would say a price should be between £850 and £1200 including VAT

66820[/snapback]

I'd agree with Zak, it does seem a bit pricey although it's hard to say without seeing the property.

I certainly wouldn't tell a customer that they have to do any part of the work themselves. How would this affect your guarantee on the system?

If you don't know......ask.

Guest heliart

Well, I have someone else coming on Monday to quote for the same job.

If I'm going to pay someone, I want to be hands off, otherwise I'm certainly going DIY.

Thanks,

Steve

In my view it seems very pricy.... but without seeing it..., even though it still seems a bit expensive. Certainly wouldn't be asking any customer's to be installing cables and if it's outside then it wants to be in ally tube at the least, I still wouldn't do this unless there was any other way. I'd get at least another 2 quotes from local firms as you might find yourself paying over the odds, personally I think I'd fit the above as a guide for around just under the £600 mark or there abouts, depends where you are really but if it's not a nightmere house it shouldn't be much more than somewhere in that region. NSI approved company I'd of thought tops you'd be paying around £800

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Guest heliart

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm trying to be fully armed (Excuse the pun) when I talk to anyone who's quoting me.

A couple of things:-

1. To add a smoke detector, would you expect to run a cable just for it, along with a seperate cable for whatever PIR is in use or would you run just a single cable with more cores to carry the smoke sensor (2 or 4 wire), so run maybe a 8 or 10 core total to my workshop?

2.I was toying with the ideas of having my front drive gates as part of the system, along with the side gate.

I know the Texecom 48 (this is what I've been recommended) has up to 4 areas, so I could have an otuside (gate and side access) area, then a workshop area all of which I presume I can have either active or not.

So, are there such things as external/weather hardy magnetic door sensors that I can use on the driveway gates and side gate?

I think I'm getting there.

Thanks,

Steve

I'd probably fit an expander to the shed and run everything from there, but if not then probably 3 seperate cables, one for each device and one for just in case. ;)

With the areas you can assign codes and sensors to each group so you can effectively set it up as 4 seperate systems so 1 code for the house and 1 for the workshop both setting independently of each other.

also a fence is not classed as a permanant fixture therefore cable should not be supported on it but go under ground.

It's in the IEE regs somewhere don't know exactly.

Guest heliart

OK, If I have the cables run to my front gates underground, what about fixing to the gates, and what sensors?

I'd be worried about any mechanical issues of just having the cable fitted to the post and onto the gate with some magnetic switch when they are closed together.

What about frost protection etc?

Thanks,

Steve

Archived