Security Installer Community

Wirefree Alarm

Guest 1sttimebuyer

Sites on the net supply to the public and these sites  say its ideal for diy

installations, they even offer to programme the kit for you - visonic do not say it's for profesional use only - infact they say it is easy to install in a matter of an hour or so - they did orignally say on thier main web site that Powermax + was ideal for the diy market - they may have changed their minds 

but surely they can not dictate who buys the kit and into which market they then resell

66861[/snapback]

Of course they can dictate into which market they sell. Not at the moment by selling it on the net via 3 or 4 distributors, but how do you think other professional kit is unavailable to the public.

Really, I could not careless what vendor's sites say. They are trying to sell a product to make money. Believe you me, making £10-20 for shifting a box is pretty **** income unless you are selling a few a day, especially with the fortune they are spending on sponsored links. These companies are also not alarm installers - just people trying to make money.

The only way for them to sell a few a day is to sell to everyone. We had very in depth meetings directly with Visonic about this. They are supposed to be providing their official resellers with special authorised logos, and these people are supposed to be setting up a trade section to their online stores so that they only sell the Powermax and Powermax Plus to the TRADE. The only Powermax product that is supposed to be widely available is the BT product. I didn't just make this up.

Visonic have a lot of problems with DIY-ers calling them up asking how to install the system. Most enquiries are simple that engineers would know. Visonic do not have the resources to field technical calls from the public. I am sure they are between a rock and a hard place - if they don't sell to the public then they don't shift boxes either - but then they have to deal with tech support for people who often can't even wire a plug.

Compared to "professional" systems, the Powermax range does not get installed by alarm engineers. Not in this country anyway. Maybe Visonic haven't finally decided on which course of action they are taking with this panel and there lies the confusion. But, believe you me, whether ESP or Visonic, they were not designed for Joe Public to open a box, plug it in, and have a system working very shortly. There are programming and configuring options that they won't understand, terminology they will never have hard of, techology that they have never seen, and although someone with a logical brain and some common sense should have no problem, there are always a few questions that need to be answered - and there is no one to answer these questions unless the online vendors have their own support, which they don't.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Archived