Security Installer Community

Redcare and ADSL.

Guest Sawyer

Guest Sawyer

Hi,

My uncle has a redcare system fitted in his house and he has just got ADSL. The ADSL is through Talktalk.

He hasn't got a seperate phone line and wants to run the ADSL through the same line as the redcare uses.

The alarm company have come out and fitted a Modem Compatible Device to the system but have connected the ADSL Filter to the socket first, then the MCD. The MCD doesn't seem to have a power light come on this way and also the broadband disconnects every 30seconds (I guess when the redcare system tests for connectivity)

I have tried putting the MCD first (power light now comes on) then the ADSL Filter in that and the Broadband modem cant connect.

It seems the MCD looks like it could be for a standard modem connection not a ADSL modem? Is this possible and is their a ADSL specific MCD? The MCD is a Versus4681

Or is it another ADSL filter I need to use?

Any help or advice will be much appreciated. :)

Mark

Hi,

My uncle has a redcare system fitted in his house and he has just got ADSL. TheĀ  ADSL is through Talktalk.

He hasn't got a seperate phone line and wants to run the ADSL through the same line as the redcare uses.

The alarm company have come out and fitted a Modem Compatible Device to the system but have connected the ADSL Filter to the socket first, then the MCD. The MCD doesn't seem to have a power light come on this way and also the broadband disconnects every 30seconds (I guess when the redcare system tests for connectivity)

I have tried putting the MCD first (power light now comes on) then the ADSL Filter in that and the Broadband modem cant connect.

It seems the MCD looks like it could be for a standard modem connection not a ADSL modem? Is this possible and is their a ADSL specific MCD? The MCD is a Versus4681

Mark

65600[/snapback]

Assuming you have traditional RedCARE and not RedCARE home monitoring you do not need a MCD unless you have a fax or traditional modem, the ADSL modems are fully compatible with RedCARE without a MCD. If it is the new RedCARE home monitoring then a MCD is not required end of storey.

To sum it up you wont need a MCD unless you have a fax or traditional modem, if you have one of these just plug this device into it, again the ASDL Modem is different.

No addtional ADSL filters required

Trade Member

Hi,

My uncle has a redcare system fitted in his house and he has just got ADSL. TheĀ  ADSL is through Talktalk.

Mark

65600[/snapback]

My advice would be to keep your hands off the equipment and contact the company who installed it if there is a problem.

The mere fact you have swopped connections around would be enough to invalidate any warranty you had and if your unlucky and anything is damaged or broken you could well be liable for the cost of the repairs.

Sounds like your phone line has become imbalanced. Possibly due to the new equipment or faulty filter. There is a bad Bach of filters doing the rounds at the moment. I have had 20 this month. Get the alarm Co to check there end and then if that checks out ok Get you Telco provider to send an engineer out.

How old is the redcare?

If it isnt a 3gstu it will need a broadband filter fitting before it in the panel.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest Sawyer

The redcare is less than a year old. I have got the broadband company to check the line and they say the broadband should work ok.

Breff - Would it be the alarm company or BT that have to fit the filter in the panel?

Would it be the alarm company or BT that have to fit the filter in the panel?

65625[/snapback]

The alarm company would be the ones to do that.

The MCD light only comes on, when it's being used. It is not always on..

And from what I can gather the redcare is working fine, but the ADSL broadband is getting cut off every 30 seconds..? And this is the problem he wants solving..?

Surely if the above is the case then his alarm company is NOT at fault..?

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Whats the MCD for do you have a fax on the same line ?

If you just have broadband then a MCD is not required, the filters are and are supposed to be fitted on any phone on the line which has broadband, NOT on the Redcare which is supposed to have a non-removable connection to it.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Broadband seams to be upset by almost anything when it was enabled to my house I had one faulty filter and the phone cable going to the garage had to be disconnected to get it to work all the time.

Try to find the master socket is it the split sort that allow you to unplug the rest of the house wiring? If so unplug all extension wiring DO NOT disconnect any cables that are in terminals you may loose your RedCARE. Drag the PC to the master socket or borrow a laptop and try the ADSL Modem in the master socket with a filter and nothing else. Does it work?

Trade Member

• 2 months later...

I think i need smart 1 for this. i have a alarm panel line fault on an ADSL enabled line the ADSL works fine but their is no telehone line present. How can this be? BT have confirmed a fault but say it will likely be at the premises and their engineer is chargable. I disconected the line and got neither a tone or a voltage, so re-conected and broadband came back but still no line. i have authourised BT to investigate and charge if fault is at the property.

jef

Customers!

One leg disconnected. The frequency that ADSL works on is pretty much RF so can happily work with one wire, or I've even seen none! Surprisingly a common occurence ADSL fine and no speech. Raise it with BT as a fault, they may work it out for themselves, eventually....... (sorry smarty ;)).

One leg disconnected. The frequency that ADSL works on is pretty much RF so can happily work with one wire, or I've even seen none! Surprisingly a common occurence ADSL fine and no speech. Raise it with BT as a fault, they may work it out for themselves, eventually....... (sorry smarty ;)).

:P You are right though :rolleyes:

:P You are right though :rolleyes:
Thanks for this. It makes me quite cross that BT will fix this at the exchange and i have had to go out and check their work at the property to avoid getting billed by my customer. My time there fault no reward, worse still this is a new EN panel and the telecom fault creates an alart tone every 10 minutes this is silenced by any user code. but its anoying so much so that i had to remove the comms with a power down power up and once its fixedi have to re- install comms. This cant be right, surely i should be able to switch this off from the menus. I can see a manufacturers call on Monday, these EN alerts are getting on my tits already.

Jef

Customers!

Thanks for this. It makes me quite cross that BT will fix this at the exchange and i have had to go out and check their work at the property to avoid getting billed by my customer. My time there fault no reward, worse still this is a new EN panel and the telecom fault creates an alart tone every 10 minutes this is silenced by any user code. but its anoying so much so that i had to remove the comms with a power down power up and once its fixedi have to re- install comms. This cant be right, surely i should be able to switch this off from the menus. I can see a manufacturers call on Monday, these EN alerts are getting on my tits already.

Jef

Just as your customer would have billed you if you hadn't come out and BT did and found it to be your fault, why can't you bill your customer as it was not your fault?

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Just as your customer would have billed you if you hadn't come out and BT did and found it to be your fault, why can't you bill your customer as it was not your fault?
Because dumb ass that i am this guy has total maintenance (new system 3 weeks) and if this where a BS 4737 panel instead of EN50131 then i would have had the oppertunity to just turn off the comms monitor and wait for ARC to tell me everything was OK. Not on this panel. :no:

Jef

Customers!

Third part connection/fault so why not charge?
Norman under normal circumstances i think i would on this occassion and so close to instal i think i should be generous especialy as i feel my equipment (Due to the EN thing) is has caused this unesacery hardship.

Jef

Customers!

Archived