Security Installer Community

False alarms

amateurandy

Hello folks,

Firstly I would like to point out that I've posted this in the DIY Alarm Installers section; so please treat me gently! :cry:

My alarm (ADE Accenta G3), which I installed myself about 18 months ago AND HAVE SERVICED REGULARLY (as described very helpfully on this site) has had a couple of FA's recently. One was while the house was empty (full set) and was the Landing PIR; the neighbours (who have keys and codes) sorted that out as I was on holiday. The second was at night (part set) and was the Lounge PIR; that woke me up PDQ! In both cases all the relevant areas doors, etc were fully closed and there were no storms, power cuts or anything odd at the time.

I couldn't see or think of anything that might trigger it and checked inside both PIR's - clean as a whistle, no spiders etc. and no cobwebs nearby either. Cleaned them anyway for good measure.

Has anyone any suggestions what to look for, or is it "just one of those things"?

Thanks

If it's random zones triggering it then I'd suspect inteference\induced EMF or even a bunch of cables damaged, maybe trapped under the edge of a board or pulled tigthtly round a corner.

First thing to do is test all the resistances and voltages to see if anything has deteriorated.

Thanks,

I'm (almost) totally sure it's not trapped or damaged cable; I routed them very carefully well out of the way, plenty of slack, cutouts, etc. and nothing has changed since installation. But I have the means to test continuity, resistance, shorting between cores etc. so will do that.

I had been thinking of getting a spike suppressor. I can't offhand remember the name/model and supplier, but there have been plenty of references to them so I'll track it down. If I recall correctly there are 2 sorts, one for the incoming mains and another for the 12v circuits (fit inside the panel?). any comments anyone on which to use and why?

Guest roonster

yup you need a spike suppressor direct from the suppliers here:

http://www.actmeters.com/actmeters.htm

ACT1313 12V Spike Suppressor

Next to user error, induced AC voltage caused by electro-magnetic interference (EMI) is the biggest cause of false alarms. Alarm cables running alongside mains, telephone and other service cables, induce high voltages and electrical

Hi Andy, set your multimeter to ac, place one probe on the earth of the incomming mains cable THE EARTH and the other probe to a zone on the panel.... any will do just pick one side of a zone, this will give you a reading of induced ac on the panel, if it's above 10 I'd look at getting the above mentioned act1313 spike supressor. There are filters for the 240v side of things which choke surges and so on but I'd give the 1313 a go first before you start throwing money at it which it might not need. :rolleyes:

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

As maverick said except probes on earth and 12v dc.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm not sure what my readings prove.

Tested as suggested; +12V to earth is minimal, 0.2VAC

BUT panel supply (i.e. effectively across battery) shows 29VAC (and 13.5VDC).

Does this imply that the panel power supply is faulty?

Just to add a further bit of (probably irrelevant) info - my house has overhead power cables. The electricity board have told me (and showed me) that Earth is clamped to Neutral. Every alternate telegraph pole has a long earth spike clamped to Neutral. And indeed the readings are identical if swapping Earth and Neutral.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I bought an ACT1313 as suggested.

Testing again with my better (more expensive) meter on the 20VAC range and I had about 15V induced AC which reduced to 0.12V AC after fitting the suppressor.

No more FA's I hope. :rolleyes:

I had about 15V induced AC which reduced to 0.12V AC after fitting the suppressor.

66017[/snapback]

I would have a serious look at your system this is way to high in the first place, a high value would be 5 to 9 volts but 15v somthing needs looking at.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

I would have a serious look at your system this is way to high in the first place, a high value would be 5 to 9 volts but 15v somthing needs looking at.

66074[/snapback]

Interesting; any suggestions what to look for?

I know for a fact that none of the alarm cables run parallel or close to any mains power around the house, and only a couple cross lighting cables at right angles between the joists. The power to the unit comes in from below and everything else leaves going up.

Could it be a faulty power supply? There just seems to be a transformer which provides what I would guess is low-voltage AC output to the main PCB; presumably conversion to DC is on the same single board as everything else?

It's an ADE Accenta G3.

66074[/snapback]

Never checked a Veritas then? I constantly find around 10-18v with no real adverse effects. I would personally only clamp it down if it was having fa's though.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

I wouldnt be too worried about it andy, keep the filter fitted and you should be ok.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived