Security Installer Community

Wireless 868MHz vs 433MHz

Guest dtroughton

Guest dtroughton

Im looking to buy and install a Powermax+ Wireless system. It is available in 433MHz and 868MHz versions. Are there pros/cons for each?

Im looking to buy and install a Powermax+ Wireless system.  It is available in 433MHz and 868MHz versions.  Are there pros/cons for each?

63135[/snapback]

both are ****. i don't necessarily mean Powermax as a brand but if it is wireless it IS **** :!:

as i have said before:

in god we trust, others have to be wired :yes:

real difference between 433MHz and 868MHz is 435MHz. :whistle:

Techinically one will have a longer range than the other, due to the way radio waves propogate at different frequencies in the radio spectrum. Other reasons may include, manufacturers changed some of the frequencies they operate on as there had been instances of other radio services interfering, another may be there might be a different frequency allocation on the continent, I dont do wireless, someone else will be able to help further.

Do you know that the Powermax + is not a DIY installed system? Visonic are trying to stop people (especially on the internet) from selling to non-trade. Visonic will not provide any tech help on this product to DIY-ers because it is not a DIY product and they don't have the staff capacity to deal with enquiries that trade people wouldn't have to ask. So, if you are DIY, then you need to consider the above.

Got this from the Internet just now, don't know how valid it is:

"The 868MHz band is less congested than 433MHz. On 433MHz your signal is competing in a total free-for-all of alarms, controls, telephony and all-sorts - competition which can lead to your control signal being wiped out or distorted.

There's another feature of 868MHz that really helps control interference too - its called "limited duty cycle". This means that no device using the 868MHz frequency band is allowed to transmit for more than a few milliseconds every second - so there are far fewer devices transmitting at any one time. According to one of the manufacturers who make the transmitter chips for 868MHz, the frequency has at least 100 times more "interference immunity"."

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

If i remeber correctly, 433 is being phased out. its just too busy.

63166[/snapback]

That was my understanding too, go for the 868Mhz as quite possibly a year or two down the line you may not be able to get replacement sensors should you need to.

egg03064.gif

real difference between 433MHz and 868MHz is 435MHz.  :whistle:

63136[/snapback]

I was referring to alarm systems.

868 will be just as crowded as 433 is at the moment so no benefit in it. There are differencies as stated above but if you are about to install an alarm system i really would like to point you to wired ones.

433mhz is getting crowded and there are many other radio users in that bandwidth, the 868Mhz band would be my personal choice as the restrications on how the devices are allowed to operate on there are much tighter than on the 433Mhz. Also close to the 433Mhz band is a ham radio location and with legal output powers of upto 400watts I'm sure if your nearby to one you may have problems despite what the ec guidlines and badges might say. Just got back tonight from quoting for a wireless system, not my prefered choice but the house was impossible to fit a wired system to, and I mean impossible as they want on cables on show whatsoever and in my years of experience there's no way on gods earth of making this happen as it's just be refurbished and has lovely wooden floors upstairs, no loft space and is the worst nightmere I've seen for years. This is always a highly debated topic on here, I'm not for wirefree but from a company and business point of view if it means work and making a profit or loosing to someone else who will install less quality wirefree equipment then we cross the line and will install it. We have very few systems out there but haven't had any problems so far with them so I'd back you on that option. Anyway go for the 868Mhz and any problems you quite welcome to ask for help.

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Archived