Security Installer Community

cant get burglar alarm working

Guest timmyquick

Guest timmyquick

Hi all

have tried 2 bell boxs on my optima compact, but every time i turn the system on the bell box keeps giving the control panel a tamper fault, i hold down the tamper on control panel, type in code, reset. Ten seconds later tamper fault again, i reset the control panel goes dead wont do anything. I have treid a replacement bell box. The control panel is new. I should say that the bell box does not sound, but strobe does flash. However if i link t&a on control panel the control panel will then set and work fine i can go through the test procedure to test strobe but siren obviously does not then work.

control Panel = optima compact g3

bell box 1 = tate alarm

bell box 2 = no make however is exactly same as tate alarm just no markings.

control panel strobe - connected to stb- on bell box

T ve tamper return - conneted to RTN on bell box

A ve supply 0v - connected to hold of - on bell box

D ve supply 12v - connected to hold off + on bell box

B ve sounder trigger - connected to TRG on bell box

what the hell am i doing wrong this started when my burglar alarm started messing up so i bought a new bell box. new batt. new control panel. the bell box i bought turned out to be identical to my current one apart from markings, the new control panel is a optima like my old one just newer model. i have linked all the zones so that is not a problem on the system. what am i doing wrong? i spent £80 now and my girfriend aint happy need to get fixed. plus im skint, plus there's no chance of ringing anyone at the moment.

Regards

If the bell is fed by a 6 core cable, then you have one spare.

Check for continuity between that spare cable and your bellbox tamper return cable. If you have continuity, then connect that spare cable to your panel hold- (A).

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest timmyquick

not sure i understand supply ov to bell bex

is this connection not doing this? A ve supply 0v - connected to hold of - on bell box

bearing in mind that the bellbox according to install procedure only require the 5 cores out of 6?

please keep help coming as i am having another go when i get home from work tomaz

I believe the "Tate" alarm boxes are Ventcroft Compact Classics but there are also some Intellisense AG3's with that name on them. I don't think the Optima COmpact G3 details the connections for those particular boxes. I don't really have time to reply sorry!

Trade Member

Are you supplying a "0V" to the bellbox tamper feed..?

Symptoms sound like you aren't.

62710[/snapback]

control panel strobe - connected to stb- on bell box

T ve tamper return - conneted to RTN on bell box

A ve supply 0v - connected to hold of - on bell box

D ve supply 12v - connected to hold off + on bell box

B ve sounder trigger - connected to TRG on bell box

62707[/snapback]

I think your problem is at your bell - as dave says it sounds like no "-" (negative) feed going to the tamper switch which in turns returns to your control box T connection. If all works ok when you link T and A then it has to be at the bell. If you have a test meter check if there is negative voltage coming down the wire connected to T.

also/ as well go up to bell and make sure you don,t have to manually put a link wire in for tamper to work or that the tamper switch is closed.

As a quickie solution (if you want a quiet life from her indoors) go up to bell and put link wire between T and A and then go back to the fault later when you have more time

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Guest timmyquick

hi all, thanks for help so far. I got fed up of ladders so i put a new 6 core alarm wire in to panel so i can mess in my living room to get it work properly before i go back on ladders.

I tried to hook up the exstra wire to ov supply on control panel and then hold- on bell box no different.

I tried to link hold off- and return on bellbox what are T&A on panel and this made the burglar alarm work correctley, went trough hole test procedure in manual, every thing works fine except the tamp swicth on bell box, that was my old bell box. I then proceded to do the same with the new bell box disconecting my old one fist, however the success was not repaeted the green led stays on and only the strobe then works in test and no siren. Could it be possible that i have 2 faulty bell box?.

I originally just started with buying a new bell box as the alarm kept going off and showing no faults on control panel, then installed new bell box and the whole system stopped working all together hence i bought a new control panel. I really dont want to use the old bell box in case of repeted i symtons. Also i wired the new bell box as the old one originally ( few days ago now) as with covers off they are more or less identicle, same jumper fo batt on and off and jum a or t for siren on 20 seconds or 20 mins.

Tried multimetre by putting red probe on + battery and black probe on 0v supply to bell box it then reported a voltage so i assume that a ov is being supplied. I also tried red probe on return on bell box and black probe on 0v supply to bell box, this showed 0 on metre.

Sorry for long posts but i dont get paid for a month and all ready spent £80 and wanting to get it all working nice again like it has done for the last 8 years.

So where shall i go from here?

thanks

Archived