Security Installer Community

Optima xm zone faults

Guest popoff

Guest popoff

I have an optima xm system that was installed in 1995.

It at present has zones 1 and 2 lit up and will not arm/set.

I have entered customer code to set but nothing.

I have omitted zones 1 and 2 and it appears to set as normal but no alarm activates when I walk through house etc.

I have reset to factory settings in a bid to cure problem but still no change.

Could anyone advise me on what to do without having to call out an engineer. :cry:

If zones 1 & 2 are both powered devices then you have likely got a blown AUX fuse and the cause will need to be determined by an engineer. If they arent powered devices "like a door contact" then the cable may have somehow got damaged (had any carpet fitted lately).?

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest popoff

To be 100% honest the system was installed by previous owners and i'm not sure what is on each zone as it is an old system but hey it worked lol. I'm pretty sure that zone 1 is my contact on main entry exit. Zone 2 could be the PIR above my entry exit door??? I also have pressure mats on my stairs so possibly zone 3? I also have a PIR in my lounge and a contact on my rear door. Aside this there is a panic button located by my main entry exit door too.

Logic to me says that zone 1 would be my entry exit door contact and pir(is it possible they are both zone 1?)

Zone 2 would be the mats on my stairs?

Zone 3 my lounge?

Zone 4 my contact on rear door?

In reply to you NO i have not had carpet fitted recently or any reason as to why the system failed. It happened as we had that sunshine/hot weather last week. Coincidence??

I have read and read the manual but it's in greek i think lol

Hi, when was thething last serviced??? Have the batteries been replaced recently?? At a guess probabally not. OK, power the ting down, mains and battery, power it back up again, try your code, try default code (will probabally have gone back to this by now) if it doesn't work, that hammer you had handy.... try this :smash: BUT JUST BEFORE THAT, put your loaction on here to see if someone nearby might come to your aid at a reasonable price.... :yes: good luck!!!

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Guest popoff

Thanks for the help. I have decided to opt for a new system as I have feeling once it starts playing up it will get worse.(optimistic ay i).

I have two options now...1)replace CP with a compatible so as to retain my existing pir's,contacts and mats etc. (cheaper)or 2) stop being tight and go for it and replace whole system.

by fitting myself I save a bit and can therefore get better system(logical).

What I could do with is some advice from the pro's (not ladies of the night)on a couple of things.

If I keep the system and change the CP is their a compatible and if so how much is it, how easy to install and where can I buy?

If I go for a complete refit any suggestions on a cheap but good system with say the cp,2 pir's,2 contacts(door)and 2 pa buttons??

Preferably a diy system or one with a little electrics knowledge needed.

Could do with a rough costing for them too if anyone can help.

Are these diy B&Q models any cop? (can I ask that )or at £150.00 are they toytown?

Thanks for the help. I have decided to opt for a new system as I have feeling once it starts playing up it will get worse.(optimistic ay i).

I have two options now...1)replace CP with a compatible so as to retain my existing pir's,contacts and mats etc. (cheaper)or 2) stop being tight and go for it and replace whole system.

by fitting myself I save a bit and can therefore get better system(logical).

62318[/snapback]

Glad you're opting for upgrade/new, but I'd recommend getting an engineer to do the work and getting rid of you're pressure mats.

Are these diy B&Q models any cop? (can I ask that )or at £150.00 are they toytown?

62318[/snapback]

I'd stay well away from them.

What I could do with is some advice from the pro's (not ladies of the night)on a couple of things.

If I keep the system and change the CP is their a compatible and if so how much is it, how easy to install and where can I buy?

If I go for a complete refit any suggestions on a cheap but good system with say the cp,2 pir's,2 contacts(door)and 2 pa buttons??

Preferably a diy system or one with a little electrics knowledge needed.

Could do with a rough costing for them too if anyone can help.

62318[/snapback]

Why don't you compromise and just have the control panel replaced and use the rest of the money to have an engineer do the work and check it all out for you?

I'm sure you would get your CP replaced and serviced from around £150. At least then, though, you know it's done right. :yes:

If you don't know......ask.

I take it you battered the living daylights out of it then... good for you. B& WHAT!!!! How dare you mention that rubbish on the beloved forum.....

Right... new panel, keep the pir's and wiring to them if it's ok, bin the pressure mats.... personally I think they're a waste of time & effort. PLAN 1, Have someone out to install a new system for you, PLAN 2... Have someone out to replace the panel and get the current system up and running. If you diy the job you'll be pulling out your hair (if you've got any left at this stage with the current system) and be on here everynight asking how to do this & that.... at the end of the day save yourself a right pain in the butt and shell out a few quid... for the money you'll waste in B&ummm you could probabally get someone out to do the job in fixing the old system with new panel and save us all taking the pee afterwards saying told ya so.... :yes:

Ment to be light hearted, not offensive, but have a beer... pick up the yp or post location on here and spend some money on your poor unloved system... it'll be a good investment. (Commission payments lads to pm me for details)

Good luck :ninja:

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Archived