Security Installer Community

Master Blasters

antinode

Doing a maintenance service the other week on a system with my colleague and the customer mentioned something about setting it off on accident a couple of weeks ago and how it scared the shoot out of him. Funny I thought, as there was only the external bell? Opened the panel lid to do the readings and bell hold and saw two extra connections on the + and trigger connections. Thats odd, maybe it's just a relay connection or internal sounder. Anyway, we get to triggering the system (you can tell whats coming cant you) I stay at the keypad while my work mate goes and removes a roller contact magnet from outside... all of a sudden all hell breaks loose. I dive for the keypad to turn it off. Turns out we had'nt seen the master blaster lurking above and on checking the cable list, it was at the top of page 2, which we had'nt needed to look at. Will check them all thouroughly in future. My ears are still ringing :cry:

Trade Member

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've got one INSIDE a garden machinery showroom, very very tasty when it goes off, always make sure ive got my ear defenders when i test that one :whistle:

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Had a customer wanted one fitted in the understairs cupboard, thought ok.

Had to move it though when he set it off by accident and it sucked his coat in.

Smoke, shredded fabric etc!!!

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Went to a small TV and hi-fi shop in holmes chaple that had 2 in the shop front no mention of them on the spec so with a shop full of people i did a bell test. The owner came storming into the back shouting every FU**ING time you lads come its the same no warning and all the customers almost ded on the floor. lol lol :yes:

Took over a job with four on due to the customer realy upset due to he had opened up one morning and neighbours started to complain to him, we got called out to check the system out and found four melted blaster blasters all the plastic had run down the wall, we looked in the panel and found the trig had been taken of the strobe output (very bad) so the previous company lost a few contracts and we gained them.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Took over a job with four on due to the customer realy upset due to he had opened up one morning and neighbours started to complain to him, we got called out to check the system out and found four melted blaster blasters all the plastic had run down the wall, we looked in the panel and found the trig had been taken of the strobe output (very bad) so the previous company lost a few contracts and we gained them.

How could that be, they're mains driven, the panel trigger just controls the relay inside them.

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

How could that be, they're mains driven, the panel trigger just controls the relay inside them.

60921[/snapback]

What do you mean,

12v triggers the relay which switches the 240v and turns the thing on, if wired to the strobe output the relay is energised until the panel is reset by the customer (menvier TS900) so the mains is also on until reset by the customer, masterblaster going going for hours over heated and melted the plastic, BTW they are only rated for 10mins of operation.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

I used to service one in a country park, I wondered why it had a 9500 in it, especially as there was only 2 lims and most of those were spare... (one little hut)

actually there was two other buildings, with master blasters in them, one of which being a wood cutting shed, apparently the bloke nearly cut his arm off...

any ways spent the next day hunting for zones and writing out new paperwork with master blasters written on the top of every page!

I now have one fitted in my garage, with a smokecloak and one of those ultra noisy piezo sirens! Does this count as "a significant deterent"?

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

i have a smoke cloak i took out of a job i once set it up in the garden for a party ( not a good idea realy) as it takes ages to warm up and uses 2kw of juce to reach operating temp but a good laugh when you set it going. i was using old fluid well over 18 months so i had loads of it just kept it pumping out for about 5 mins or so.

Had Bradford Police at our offices today collecting 6 x stand alone smoke units.

Plug in, arm and walk away.

Whilst they were there, showed them our engineers workshop where they have set up a galaxy on confirmed with smoke, light and white noise (just because they can).

Captured it all on film, and I have to say I have not laughed so much in a long time.

Picture three very large, burly and Northern poilcemen walking into a room.

1st detector catches them........nothing, they venture further in.

2nd detector catches them and smoke, sound (124 db on an oscillating frequency) and light (higher than 7 flashes per second, but fast enough to make the smoke unbearable) all start at once.

All three policemen visibly jump and exit room at high speed..........classic B)

Matt Gilmartin, Sales Director

T: +44(01205) 821111 | F: +44(01205) 820316

info@smoke-screen.co.uk | www.smoke-screen.co.uk

Head office:

1-2 North End, Swineshead, Boston, Lincs PE20 3LR

Registered in the UK no. 2728491

True story

on wednesday i was doing a maintenace call on computer warehouse loads of kit on the system galaxy 504 redwall, links to cctv the works. In the warehouse they have a strong room only about 12ft by 20ft no windows and only 1 door, fitted within this room is a smoke cloak. A dt on the galaxy a pir in the smoke cloak and a smoke detector on the roof. So i say i need to test smoke cloak, so i do a full test on the galaxy only setting the zone in the strong room. I walk back into the ware house and tell the guy some one can go in. They have a young lad about 16 just left school working there and he has no idea whats going on or who i am. So one of the guys shout hey go in there and get ""££2 not sure what he said so the young lad go's in dt picks up but not pir the blokes in the wearhouse pull the door shut and all you hear is sh sh sh sh and some one kicking the door screaming the lad is filling he pants. One of the blokes opens the door and shouts TONIGHT MATHEW I AM GOING TO BE.... the lad runs out almost crying. every one was rolling around laughing.

i did a service at a petrol station,as i walked in , before i had even touched the panel or rkp,the alarm just went on of. mains siren was going for about 3 mins, pulled the fuse out of the spur but the idiot who had fitted it had wired it wrong so it didnt stop it. got it to stop in the end went into the shop area and the 70 year old bloke behind the counter was shaking like a sh*tting dog and nearly crying.

Trade Intruder

Went to one a while ago that was not coming on. Tested the bell output and after a couple of seconds it fired up. Went to check it and found the remains of a small family of birds, which had taken up residence inside the master blaster. What a mess. :o

Went to one a while ago that was not coming on. Tested the bell output and after a couple of seconds it fired up. Went to check it and found the remains of a small family of birds, which had taken up residence inside the master blaster. What a mess.  :o

61024[/snapback]

Watch out for the claim on your insurance for personal injury :roflmao:

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

I hope Bill Oddie doesnt read this :o

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Had one a few weeks ago, fired it up, and it found drill dust I obviously hadnt - erm, well, Matt from concept - eat ya heart out matey - the shop was like a sandstorm :P

I attended a service call at a well known shop that is open Alldays. Only to find the maintenance engineer here carrying out his routine maintenance. Now he is not the cleverest of guys but as I walked in the front door the check out assistant was shaking like a leave asking me what I was here for and hopefully not setting the alarm off. Anyway found out the maintenance guy had set the alarm off but forgot about the master blaster that was 4 feet above the till on the suspended ceiling. I walked out pissing myself. :P

cheers Kev

I know of a lad on a past firm who thought it would be good to see what it felt like to put his finger on the fins as they were spinning :no: He was lucky it was only a small gash.

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

we got a systen in a factory out in Hereford which as 4 Blasters fitted,when they go off the owner can hear it from is house over a mile away.

61148[/snapback]

Hereford! Who needs an alarm in Hereford:

1. It's so far from anywhere, and the roads are so bad, that no-one would bother.

2. The locals are NOT for messing with (S*S if you need a clue) :ninja:

Archived