Security Installer Community

Master Blasters

antinode

Doing a maintenance service the other week on a system with my colleague and the customer mentioned something about setting it off on accident a couple of weeks ago and how it scared the shoot out of him. Funny I thought, as there was only the external bell? Opened the panel lid to do the readings and bell hold and saw two extra connections on the + and trigger connections. Thats odd, maybe it's just a relay connection or internal sounder. Anyway, we get to triggering the system (you can tell whats coming cant you) I stay at the keypad while my work mate goes and removes a roller contact magnet from outside... all of a sudden all hell breaks loose. I dive for the keypad to turn it off. Turns out we had'nt seen the master blaster lurking above and on checking the cable list, it was at the top of page 2, which we had'nt needed to look at. Will check them all thouroughly in future. My ears are still ringing :cry:

Trade Member

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've got one INSIDE a garden machinery showroom, very very tasty when it goes off, always make sure ive got my ear defenders when i test that one :whistle:

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Had a customer wanted one fitted in the understairs cupboard, thought ok.

Had to move it though when he set it off by accident and it sucked his coat in.

Smoke, shredded fabric etc!!!

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Went to a small TV and hi-fi shop in holmes chaple that had 2 in the shop front no mention of them on the spec so with a shop full of people i did a bell test. The owner came storming into the back shouting every FU**ING time you lads come its the same no warning and all the customers almost ded on the floor. lol lol :yes:

Took over a job with four on due to the customer realy upset due to he had opened up one morning and neighbours started to complain to him, we got called out to check the system out and found four melted blaster blasters all the plastic had run down the wall, we looked in the panel and found the trig had been taken of the strobe output (very bad) so the previous company lost a few contracts and we gained them.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Took over a job with four on due to the customer realy upset due to he had opened up one morning and neighbours started to complain to him, we got called out to check the system out and found four melted blaster blasters all the plastic had run down the wall, we looked in the panel and found the trig had been taken of the strobe output (very bad) so the previous company lost a few contracts and we gained them.

How could that be, they're mains driven, the panel trigger just controls the relay inside them.

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

How could that be, they're mains driven, the panel trigger just controls the relay inside them.

60921[/snapback]

What do you mean,

12v triggers the relay which switches the 240v and turns the thing on, if wired to the strobe output the relay is energised until the panel is reset by the customer (menvier TS900) so the mains is also on until reset by the customer, masterblaster going going for hours over heated and melted the plastic, BTW they are only rated for 10mins of operation.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

I used to service one in a country park, I wondered why it had a 9500 in it, especially as there was only 2 lims and most of those were spare... (one little hut)

actually there was two other buildings, with master blasters in them, one of which being a wood cutting shed, apparently the bloke nearly cut his arm off...

any ways spent the next day hunting for zones and writing out new paperwork with master blasters written on the top of every page!

I now have one fitted in my garage, with a smokecloak and one of those ultra noisy piezo sirens! Does this count as "a significant deterent"?

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

Archived