• Engineer--Provide them if Asked
    • Engineer--Do not provide them at all
    • User--Im happy to leave the serious stuff to the pro`s
    • User--Its my Alarm, I have the right to a manual
    • Un-decided

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of the public members who have voted over 90% believe it's there right to have access to the Engineer's Manual.

I can understand the reasons the public want the Engineer manual, I mean i'd love the Engineer/Service manual for all my mod con's & gadgets but I don't expect them to be supplied to me with my purchases. So why should Alarm system's be regarded differently.? Well I assume because it was (and still is in most cases) that they are supplied WITH there alarm control panel, and the engineer's removed them after install.

I would'nt trust those figures too much Dave,

I don't, some will click on anything just to see the results, but you'd still expect the false voting to even out accross the poll options. I know the way the voting would go if this were a new topic in the Trade area.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

I'd expect the site can't give eng books away as (I assume) subject to copywrite

They were at one time available to all. A couple of Manufacturer's objected and they haven't been available to the public since.

I don't mind the manufacturers objecting to me in the way they did at that time but are miffed that they singled out this site when their are many more on the web dishing them out without any consequences at all.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest anguscanplay

I`ve had a change of heart

"oh the manual, yeah I threw it in the back of the van....you want it...... er right I`ll go fetch it out then....."

BTW

"your site engineer codes unique, its locked and its on engineer reset for tamper ( as per regs so dont blame me guv.) so the first time you play with it you`ve no longer got a system - night"

no one wants one after that - LOL

I can understand the reasons the public want the Engineer manual, I mean i'd love the Engineer/Service manual for all my mod con's & gadgets but I don't expect them to be supplied to me with my purchases. So why should Alarm system's be regarded differently.? Well I assume because it was (and still is in most cases) that they are supplied WITH there alarm control panel, and the engineer's removed them after install.

not often anymore, normally a quick start guide and thats it, better IMO.

If panel companies where to remove installation manuals from the boxs and handed one to an engineer on a training day the problem wouldnt be there as you cant hand a manual to your customer if you havnt got one. They cant have yours as it was issued and belongs to you as an engineer, if they want to know about the panel then they must attend a course at an inflated cost. Bingo problem solved

lee

Lee Sutton

E-Mail: leesutton@centurianfire.co.uk

Phone: 0845 094 9870

CENTURIAN FIRE & SECURITY (part of centurian group limited)

Guest anguscanplay
As you are unaware of the total facts the company in question may be furfilling their obligations to the contract in place. It may well be those in charge opted for a basic cover plan.

hence my comment about paying enough, but the O/P has fallen into the trap of claiming big expense by adding every year up - using that logic I might as well not insure my car because I`ve already paid for it 10 times over the years

Although somethings you mentioned are just not good enough.

dunno - you never been pinned in a corner by a customer wanting to know " what YOU going to do about it.......?" when the poor engineers only got the same level of responsibilty as the guy pinning him to the wall has in his own organisation

THB Huw - an engineer manual in your case would cause more trouble than its worth (your already on record as having "fiddled..." with some equipment your boss has got under contract ) have you never seen the "removal of this label invalidates warranty ...." stickers on things ?

the engineer codes our version of them - thats all

Hi All, Just nipping back to the 'Wintex' scenario-the data is encrypted via wintex-if you move it to another PC and attempt to open it you get a message asking for the original password used at the time it was saved-and if you aint using a password, tut tut tut.

Richard.

(your already on record as having "fiddled..." with some equipment your boss has got under contract )

I'm site maintenence - my job is to fiddle.

oh lease purchase, I assume your breeching T&C's my messing with it?

And they're probably breaching their contract by being so bloody useless. Reported a camera and keyboard u/s to them today - they said they'll ring back when they get a date to visit site (they're 4 hours away). Bet I don't see them until June.... :angry:

Looking at these posts, it seems you CCTV installers are all the same - very unhelpful to anyone outside your elite. We're not all dumb sods. I can maintain emission monitor lasers, phone systems, site IT network but CCTV? Oh no, that's for the experts... apparently. ;)

I'm site maintenence - my job is to fiddle.

And they're probably breaching their contract by being so bloody useless. Reported a camera and keyboard u/s to them today - they said they'll ring back when they get a date to visit site (they're 4 hours away). Bet I don't see them until June.... :angry:

Looking at these posts, it seems you CCTV installers are all the same - very unhelpful to anyone outside your elite. We're not all dumb sods. I can maintain emission monitor lasers, phone systems, site IT network but CCTV? Oh no, that's for the experts... apparently. ;)

Feel better now do we?

If you're so good why are you on a free to use forum getting unpaid for advice from God knows who?

If the company you are using is ISO9001 accredited or regulated by a governing body start the process of an official complaint. But remember to complain and not get laughed at you will need to know weither they are or are not doing something wrong and by wrong I mean breach of contract not your opinion of such.

No point moaning to us we could be 12 year old school kids from Brazil for all you know.

:)

June lol IMHO your dealing with a **** outfit, however 4hrs away equals 200+ miles in my book why on earth would anyone entrust there security to a firm located such a distance away, I assume cheapest price?

for such a critical service you should use the "punch in the face rule" the branch or head office should be within 100 mile just in case things turn sour then you can easliy jump into a car & hold someone gently by the windpipe until the issue is resolved?

everybody & their dog thinks they can do this trade

De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da

June lol IMHO your dealing with a **** outfit, however 4hrs away equals 200+ miles in my book why on earth would anyone entrust there security to a firm located such a distance away, I assume cheapest price?

Tell me about it... :( I tried to persuade the powers that be to get a local firm in. Eventually they told me it was impossible because the system is on hire-purchase! :angry: Roll on December!

everybody & their dog thinks they can do this trade

Yeah, this company included - the quality of the installation work is shocking!

And I'm not saying that I can do a better job than anyone. All I wanted to do was adjust the brightness on one camera, disable patrolling on another and connect via laptop to another's telemetry! (Auto-pan on when power comes back!)

Guest anguscanplay

And I'm not saying that I can do a better job than anyone. All I wanted to do was adjust the brightness on one camera, disable patrolling on another and connect via laptop to another's telemetry! (Auto-pan on when power comes back!)

Huw, just for background - what kind of site is this ?

and whats your job title

(tenner says its interference officer....LOL only joshing)

Tell me about it... :( I tried to persuade the powers that be to get a local firm in. Eventually they told me it was impossible because the system is on hire-purchase! :angry: Roll on December!

screwed themselfs over by the sound of it?

thrown in I'd expect?

dome I assume? call menu form keyboard or change level on dvr (not perfect but a work around)

move joystick or call from menu?

menu or stick cheap ups to psu?

your best bet rather than bitching is simply google for a manual?

De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da

This is going nowhere.

What does posting this on here help?

You didn't choose this company, can't change to another company and we sure as hell can't do anything!

Pass the problem back to the man that paid the bill and let him sort it.

END OF.

Huw, just for background - what kind of site is this ?

and whats your job title

Won't comment on site incase there are prying eyes! Job title is Instrument Craftsman.

your best bet rather than bitching is simply google for a manual?

Google led me here! Can't find any manuals y'see! (Unless I'm not asking the right questions.... :( )

Thanks for the pointers though, but already tried the simple stuff. I was hoping to change the levels coming out of the camera but the DVR only accesses its on board menu.

This is why I want a manual!

Archived