Security Installer Community

bell boxes

Guest stephen pardoe

Guest stephen pardoe

i have recently taken out an old panel from 1992 which was linked to a gardner tehnlogy bell box i have replaced it with an accenta 8 but i can not figue out how to wire the box in the panel as it is wired with 4 core any assistance would be greatly recieved

It is possible to wire it in four core cable, but this is considerd a botch job with these modern sounders. You really need a mimimum of five free cores to do it properly, most of us wire equipment in 8 core, I even do the bellboxes in 8 core.

Someone may be able to tell you how to wire in 4 core - but I would suggest upgrading the cable.

When you disconnected the old panel , did the bell sound , and if so did it stop after 20 mins?.If not I would get a new bell box anyway ,it gives the impression that a new system has been installed.

It is possible to wire a sounder in 4 core , just link the strobe into the bell circuit , but , as suggested , its better to have it wired correctly.

The more cores serving a sab/sounder unit, the better. A 4 core wire gives any potential bellbox tamperer a better chance of snipping the bell trigger cable core. Of course, using rotating colours helps but if wired the standard way using 4 core colours, someone maybe drilling a hole into a sounder thats maybe hidden by large bushes or trees, and then being successful at hooking out part of the 4 core then stripping it would presume the red and black are bell power leaving just yellow and blue left giving them a 50/50 chance of snipping the correct cable to disable the bell trigger.

We use 8 core and spin/twist the spare cores around the used cores or ground in a spare terminal thus giving less chance of cutting the correct cable. I know someone drilling a hole into a bell unit is very unlikely, but definitely not unheard of.

ACE.gif

Archived