Security Installer Community

Drilling through a wall.....

borris

Hello.....This my first post.......so here goes........

several years ago I was working in an old pub in Plymouth, I had to drill through a cavity wall. Problem was there were 2 mains cables going through the block wall also, with a 4" gap between both cables at each side I carefully drilled exactly inline with the middle of them......Successfully got through without hitting mains cables but 2ft long sds bit was wet and on inspection smelt!!! The builders on site destroyed the wall to find that these mains cables had gone through the soil pipe since they were installed 20 years before!!

The pub owner said "we occasionally did get a smell from that area"

Obviously we never hit pipes...........I did nick the top of a central heating pipe when I was younger, by having the circular saw set wrong .......Sprayed dirty water all over the lounge.....customers were away .......spent hours cleaning everything walls and all...Told the customer and they still use us to this day.... :proud:

30 years of experience, ssaib approved family business.

We have a very long list of clients that we are very proud chose to use us. We have never bought out any other company or forced anyone to use us. All of our customers are free to leave us whenever they wish, yet very few ever have. This is down to the fact that we always put our best into every job.

http://alarmguard.co.uk

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh we all got tales just matter of sharing them lolz

Indeed welcome here Chris you will see why me and your dad like it here loads of fellow hard working engineers with a vast amount of information to share.

Hmmm yes that is my worry that we could share a little too much and give away all our business assets, I mean the stuff that makes us different to our competitors.......Maybe I am too serious :)

But yeah am more than willing to help people that are not competeing with us :)

30 years of experience, ssaib approved family business.

We have a very long list of clients that we are very proud chose to use us. We have never bought out any other company or forced anyone to use us. All of our customers are free to leave us whenever they wish, yet very few ever have. This is down to the fact that we always put our best into every job.

http://alarmguard.co.uk

you are mate, your not going to be doing anything that everyone else has not tried before.

QFA

You may be producing the best work in your area and have good work standards but you have to realise there in engineers from all over the country here and further.

• 4 weeks later...

Worst I think I ever done was drill a wall and the wall was that thin it vibrated this vase off the unit!   Opps lucky women said 'I hated that vase'   but my employer at the time made us fill out a 'Damage form'  and if customer was fine we get customer to state they Don't hold company liable for damage.

Employer was A*T and must admit it was in my early days and now I would say I am very aware of what I am drilling and even carry a hover to clean up!  

Hi all

I was working in Nottingham many moons ago when one of our lads was working at a famous Forest football players house , a right "physco" by all accounts

He was drilling up in the corner of the living room , as you do , and hit and drilled straight through the central heating pipe , lots and lots of very dirty brown water all over this guys nice cream deep pile carpet , oops

Archived