Security Installer Community

New Installer help

Guest Bigpaddy

Guest Bigpaddy

Sky themselves have nothing to do with installations. Everyone is misunderstood as to how it all works. Sky just hand over the jobs to contractors. Yes not going in the loft is a big no no with contractors because of installers breathing in harmful fumes. But to be honest, i just think its in place to speed up the installation so as to fit in as many installations as possible. I always go into the loft regardless anyway, much tidier work. Lob it over the roof trick is also very common. Sky plus requires the second cable run from the dish to box for recording facilities.

But getting back to the matter in hand...if you were installing a 2 story house, not prewired, what would the best route be to get all cables down to the first story? Channel them all down the one conduit to the first story?

And how do you get the cable to the bellbox when the bellbox is about 2-3 foot from the facia board, and not seen?

Good point, also never step on the corner of the peeled back bit as you'll find a nice crease in the carpet when you replace it.

Ah being a Sky installer you could answer a couple of questions for us brought up on a previous thread.

Do Sky have a policy about entering lofts to run cables, this is due to me witnessing an installer doing the 'lob it over the roof' trick last week and wasnt sure if there was a rule stating your not allowed in lofts.

Also, how come you run two cables for Sky plus.

55743[/snapback]

Most houses have some form of floor to ceiling cupboard, and for bells its drill it up with the 600m drill bit and fish in the eaves for the cable with your aforementioned coathanger.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Welding rod is a great favourate of mine, as metal coathangers seem quite a rareity these days. :(

Invest in a good set of fibreglass fishing rods as well, you'll wonder how you ever did without them.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

hmm..

i have seen only few of buildings there but i would say it is a piece of cake to hide cables there. here we have triple insulations everywhere, humidity stoppers, isolations of water, snow, ice etc, etc, etc,...

so we mostly just hide the cables where ever (not thou under the carpet eventhou that isn't unseen here either) if at all.

Guest Bigpaddy

Well then how do you go about hiding cables in the downstairs part of a two story house. Clip them to the skirting? Put them in conduit. I have seen some brill old houses which an installer had wired for alarm, but the cables are unrecogniseable. I can only presume that while the house has been renovated that the cabling was done first!

Never take skirting boards off!

55927[/snapback]

Well then how do you go about hiding cables in the downstairs part of a two story house. Clip them to the skirting? Put them in conduit. I have seen some brill old houses which an installer had wired for alarm, but the cables are unrecogniseable. I can only presume that while the house has been renovated that the cabling was done first!

55939[/snapback]

Reason being - most if not all of todays systems even domestic use a remote keypad to set and unset the system.

The actual control panel or end station that all the wirring goes to is upstairs - hence all the wirring can get hidden under the floorboards etc, then use drop feeds to the PIRs in the top corner of rooms, and the RKP can go under the stairs or on the wooden panel next to the stairs or any where else that may be ashtheticaly pleasing to the eye.

A little thought and all cables can be kept hidden.

Some of the other lads will have further suggestions etc.

Well then how do you go about hiding cables in the downstairs part of a two story house. Clip them to the skirting? Put them in conduit.

55939[/snapback]

Why would you want to run cables round the downstairs? Most of the cabling will be at or above ceiling level of the downstairs.

I have seen some brill old houses which an installer had wired for alarm, but the cables are unrecogniseable. I can only presume that while the house has been renovated that the cabling was done first!

55939[/snapback]

Possibly not, once you get the hang of it you can hide cables on a retrofit as if they've always been there. It's a knack you aquire with time.

Your best bet would be to get yourself a job with an alarm company so you can learn these things, as good as everyone on here is you're not going to be able to pick up all the skills required in the form of text. You could subcontract if your self employed or get a proper job on the books.

Has no one ever seen the Menvier installation video? It quite clearly shows prospective alarm engineers how easy an alarm is to wire and install. I show it to trainees as what NOT to do. :blink:

Jef

Customers!

Guest Bigpaddy

Where would I get this video Jef?

Is it downloadable?

Has no one ever seen the Menvier installation video? It quite clearly shows prospective alarm engineers how easy an alarm is to wire and install. I show it to trainees as what NOT to do.  :blink:

Jef

55982[/snapback]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest daz 44
A decent pair of VDE side cutters are essential - prob one of the tools you use all the time in this trade, also a 1mm or 1.5mm slotted VDE screwdriver or terminal driver.

A number 2 philips VDE screwdriver also.

A decent calibrated digi meter, long 8mm and 12mm drill bits for going through walls.  Also a 10mm 1meter drill bit for very thick walls you find in cottages etc or old large office buildings.

55732[/snapback]

Archived