Security Installer Community

NTL

jb-eye

I did a search on this subject without any luck. I have a number of panels signalling on NTL lines. Two of my systems have recently had the same problem. They send a signal and then the telephone lines go dead. if you disconect the alarm the line clears and the phones and alarm go back to normal. Now i remember NTL used to be 30 volt systems and we used to have problems, but these are now at 40v. Can anyone throw any light on the subject. (aritech and microtech panels)

Thanks

Jef

Customers!

I just want to check the obvious have you tried with a handset connected to make sure its not a resticted line or summit?

I just want to check the obvious have you tried with a handset connected to make sure its not a resticted line or summit?

54607[/snapback]

Butt direct on line no probs. also escalated to manufacturers, no responce as yet. The thing being both these systems started life as BT.

jef

Customers!

I did a search on this subject without any luck. I have a number of panels signalling on NTL lines. Two of my systems have recently had the same problem. They send a signal and then the telephone lines go dead. if you disconect the alarm the line clears and the phones and alarm go back to normal. Now i remember NTL used to be 30 volt systems and we used to have problems, but these are now at 40v. Can anyone throw any light on the subject. (aritech and microtech panels)

Thanks

Jef

54605[/snapback]

I had something very similar with a digi on a Teleworst line. You have to ask the line operator (NTL) to do something but im buggered if i know what it was now as it was over a year ago. They have to switch something off or on or turn it inside out or summat, cant think of the technical term!

Try asking the ARC tech help, im sure they will be able to be more specific than i ever will.................shrragginfragginrubbishy alarms i hate em! :whistle:

I had something very similar with a digi on a Teleworst line. You have to ask the line operator (NTL) to do something but im buggered if i know what it was now as it was over a year ago. They have to switch something off or on or turn it inside out or summat, cant think of the technical term!

Try asking the ARC tech help, im sure they will be able to be more specific than i ever will.................shrragginfragginrubbishy alarms  i hate em! :whistle:

54613[/snapback]

Switch the Eside??

Jef

Customers!

This may have nothing to do with it ,but............

Ive got an NTL line and to get my Premier to text me I've had to set it to pulse dial, it just will not work on DTMF.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

This may have nothing to do with it ,but............

Ive got an NTL line and to get my Premier to text me I've had to set it to pulse dial, it just will not work on DTMF.

54628[/snapback]

Intresting! tanks for that.

Jef

Customers!

Guest RICHL

Smarty posted something on this subject a while back - IIRC NTl are still sopposed to be 50v, and if need be they can increase this where it is too low.

Is it an ex BT ADSL line - perhaps a filter has been left on/off at the exchange or summit???? mind you I think with cable you keep the number but get a new wire coming into your house - so It cant be that then :(

Don't know if it's the same on NTL Smarty, but I worked for the local Cable Co over here for a while & if the switch registered the silliest of problems, it dissed the line totally until it was put right. It even flagged up if the NTE was missing for more than a minute too.

We had one system on a cable line some time ago that just kept going into line fault because of the voltage difference & no one was interested (Panel Manufactorer & Service Provider). It even saw the difference in dial tone too. In the end we turned off line fault & prog'd the panel for 24 Hr test (I'm ok) signals to the ARC.

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

It even saw the difference in dial tone too. In the end we turned off line fault & prog'd the panel for 24 Hr test (I'm ok) signals to the ARC.

54700[/snapback]

Wasn't that an expensive option on the customers behalf?

Technical Manager

NSI/LPC Approved Alarm Receiving Centre

South Manchester

Wasn't that an expensive option on the customers behalf?

Nah, they have an 0800 receiver number at our ARC. sadly, this stopped in January this year.

Anyone know of any other ARC still doing 0800 / Freephone reporting No's?

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Ok if you are seeing below 5ovdc then the problem as Chris has said is the line from the switch could be faulty. I would say it is a high resistance type fault. Only way to get this looked at is to call for a field tech to investigate. With BT's network if the line is on a B2 of a DACS and the line is cut or has a fault the B2 channel will fall over as it can not see a Network Termination. It is possible that the NTL switch is similar in the way it synchronises with the network. The other thing is to loop the line and measure the Ma it should be 50ma and drop to 25ma. If it fluctuates between 50ma 10ma or lower it is obviously a line fault. The thing would be to check the alarm equipment com's. Check for earth, and loop fault using your meter.

Unfortunately Cable equipment is slightly different to transmission equipment that I have worked on so what I have said is to be taken as Possible faults, service conditions.

Thanks Guys

Aritech say their kit will not work with NTL. Microtech say theirs will.! we disconected the panel and then re-connected and all test signals were working OK. We have used the Pulse option, now ill just have to suck and see.

Jef

Customers!

Archived