Security Installer Community

Advice required - which control panel?

Guest one5live

Guest one5live

Hi,

Being a stubborn member of the public :) and unable to get an engineers code for my old TS700 I am thinking about ripping the whole thing out and installing a new control panel as they do not seem that expensive.

I currently have a panel in the cloakroom and a large box in the airing cupboard, where the battery and everything is.

Could soemone recommend what control panel/box I should buy.

I have 4 PIR's, 1 door switch, 1 garage switch and 3 panic buttons so it doesn't need to be too complex, just reliable.

Any recommendations???

Guest RICHL

No keypads then?

A texecom veritas would do what you want, if you could live with the airfix keypad.

Why not get an engineer to sort out your Ts700 though? they were a robust bit of kit.

Guest one5live

Thanks for the reply, apologies for my terminology.

When I wrote panel in the cloakroom, that is the keypad.

My issue is that the alarm is 12 years old and I could buy the new bits for about the same cost as an engineer coming round to fix my current problem, which is a false alarm from a "time delay" panic button.

So I figured for about the same cost I could put in new bits and just remove the panic button form the new setup, as I never use it anyway.

I was looking at texecom premier, are they any good and what bits would I need?

I did say I was a typical member of the public :rolleyes:

Guest finneganjp

The Texecom Veritas Excell is an excellent piece of kit especiall for a DIY job and gives step by step installation instructions and isnt to expensive either. :yes:

Thanks for the reply, apologies for my terminology.

When I wrote panel in the cloakroom, that is the keypad.

My issue is that the alarm is 12 years old and I could buy the new bits for about the same cost as an engineer coming round to fix my current problem, which is a false alarm from a "time delay" panic button.

So I figured for about the same cost I could put in new bits and just remove the panic button form the new setup, as I never use it anyway.

I was looking at texecom premier, are they any good and what bits would I need?

I did say I was a typical member of the public  :rolleyes:

53911[/snapback]

Bit of a shortsighted view so that would make you a typical member of the public as you stated already. What you proposing is to scrap the car coz you have had a flat tyre or two and you cant fix it yourself coz you dont have the required tools.

A Texecom Premier whilst very good is not a DIY panel in my opinion and would cost you well in excess of £100 maybe nearer £150. Then you will have all the agrivation of trying to figure out what the manual means when it says.............etc etc .

I would be very surprised if you couldnt have your current system repaired for less than that.

Just for your information a TS700 panel and keypad would be in excess of £200 thats retail list prices of course.

agree with ian,

Be better (easier and cheeper) to remove pa button off the existing system and repair it rather than replace.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Guest one5live

I know what you say makes sense, but I am frustrated that I am unable to get hold of the engineers code to remove the PA myself.

There must be some method to get this code, or alternatively reset the panel so I can re-code the zones.

A few things that came to my mind, Could the fault be some sort of service timer?

I hear about companies fitting them to ensure the service call.

Are you planning to just change the equipment you have that consists of your alarm? Are you sure you have the right cables for the upgrade?

Guest dale

The whole point of an engineers code is that it is held by the ENGINEER.... I can understand your frustration but alarm systems are not easy devices for novices.... it takes many years to understand some of the panels... many of the engineers on here have been in the industry years and we are still learning.

I would get hold of the company that installed it as it will save you money in the long run... especially when at 3am your alarm starts going off and you cant shut it off, the neighbours complain and the police arrive.... sounds far fetched but ive seen it happen far too often!

If you have no experience of the system, then get the professionals in.

D

I know what you say makes sense, but I am frustrated that I am unable to get hold of the engineers code to remove the PA myself.

There must be some method to get this code, or alternatively reset the panel so I can re-code the zones.

53925[/snapback]

Nobody is going to give engineer codes out (even if we knew them), it makes systems insecure so naturally its not something that is available.

Give me your login details and password for your isp, your not going to are you?

Its a security feature which is there to protect you and your installer.

Of all the other installers on this forum i can say with confidence there will be very very few people who know each others engineer codes.

Now stop being a tightwad and get your yellow pages out, post your location and maybe one of the chaps here can help.

If you do decide to change the panel, be aware that the keypad may have 2 zones wired into it, they would be zones 9 and 10, therefore the replacement panel would need to have a keypad with zones in it.

However you will find that the cost of such panel will probably be in excess of the charge for an engineer to sort out your problem, service the system and renew the battery!!!!!

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Now stop being a tightwad and get your yellow pages out, post your location and maybe one of the chaps here can help.

He's Bristol Ian & we've tried to help him out here: - http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/comm...?showtopic=6201

Mate, with the greatest of respect, we don't know you & you could be a burglar for all we know. Please don't think we're being hostile, but the info you want would only ever be discussed in the Trade section of this forum amoungst members who have been vetted as trade, never in a public forum. The advice you've had sofar is sound & with the best intentions.

Best regards to you & I hope you get it sorted ok.

Chris

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Given the choice ts 700 or veritas 8 its not so hard to choose the better quality panel ts700 every time this is not a cheap and chearfull panel.

Get the ts700 fixed and serviced and end up with a better system than the cheap diy option.

Guest one5live

Guys,

I know you are not being hostile and I do appreciate the time you have all taken to respond.

I have a good understanding of electronics and wanted to sort it myself but accept that the info I want is something that is not readily available and should be that way.

I guess I feel I got my fingers burnt when the alarm was originally installed and I think I got tucked up, hence I have gotten in to the habit of miss trusting people.

The problem is the watchdog programs give trades bad names and tar everyone with the same brush, when in fact it is only a small minority who spoil it for everyone else. The public become very miss trusting and always think they are being conned.

Next time it fails I will make that call and get it sorted properly.

Now I know you don't have a crystal ball and this question is a little unfair, but to remove a panic button from a "Zone", what would be a "ball park" figure? I am not trying to catch anyone out, just get an idea whether it would be:

£10 - £25

£25 - £40

£40 - £55

£55 - £70

£70 plus

I also don't think the battery is the problem as I changed it 18 months ago, the first one lasted 9 years.

Many thanks for all your help.

Guest RICHL

they dont last 9 years, they last 4ish and should be changed then! Just to remove your PA should only cost £50ish - but be warned that as your system is OLD and not properly MAINTAINED there may well be more to do than just remove the PA.

I've got to agree with Richl, batts should be checked every 6 months and changed every 5 years at a maximum. I have had several batts fail on me within 12 months so just because it is 18 months old dosn't mean it's not faulty.

It also needs to be properly load tested to ensure it works correctly.

As for pricing, expect approx £50-£70 to remove the P.A. button and deprogramme it from the system.

If your wary about tradesmen, get a few quotes beforehand, that should give you a rough idea of what to expect to be charged.

Hopefully the guys here will have restored your confidence in the industry, I agree with you, tv programs like watchdog tar EVERYBODY with the same brush.

I'm sure you could find a reputable engineer here on the forums as most of the members here are deeply passionate about what they do (some to the point of obsession) :whistle:

I hope somebody here can sort it for you.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Archived