Security Installer Community

More Infinite by ESP views

Guest brum1969

Guest brum1969

Morining Everyone!

Following on from my previous post on the Infinite alarm by ESP, I've contacted an NSI Gold registered firm who installs the ESP Infinite Class 5 alarm, along with other wireless and wired systems. They state that its a superb system with an extremely good wireless coverage - better than the equivalent from Bosch.

They have installed quite a few of these and have only had one problem which was caused by the wireless bell module being struck by lightning.

Since the last post, has any other installer had any dealings with this alarm? If so..

1) How did you find the reliability of the alarm?

2) Did you get any false alarms?

3) Are you a professional installer or DIYer?

4) Would you recommend it?

My dilema at the moment is whether I pay £800 for the installation of a Scantronic 9751 plus £16 per month for a monitoring and maintenance contract, or pay around £400 for an ESP Infinite and install it myself.

Any comments?

Kind Regards

Brum1969

I dont do wireless kit at all unless its a subby job and I have no option.

Someone on here mentioned the ESP had a few problems - cant remember who it was though.

Regards Dave.

Guest brum1969
I dont do wireless kit at all unless its a subby job and I have no option.

Someone on here mentioned the ESP had a few problems - cant remember who it was though.

Regards Dave.

52364[/snapback]

Dave,

An installer mentioned this in my previous post. However, after speaking to ESP themselves they poured doubts over his claims.

I have found that there seems to be a fear of the unknown as far as wireless alarms are concerned. Everyone seems to bleet on about the tried and tested wired panels which require a qualified installer to implement. This closed shop mentality is a bit sad to me as installers seem to want to force people to use their services to prop up their market.

Sorry to sound a bit annoyed, but i do value the service that I can get from a qualified installer. But, I dont want to pay for something that i'm capable of installing myself.

Thanks for your advice

Brum1969

1) How did you find the reliability of the alarm?: OK for a cheap system

2) Did you get any false alarms?: Yes as the system would reject some signals form detectors

3) Are you a professional installer or DIYer?: Professional

4) Would you recommend it?: For a budget system, Yes for a DIY/Sparky type alarm.

For me wireless is a good alternative and I do recommend it but others have there own views. :rolleyes:

Guest brum1969
1) How did you find the reliability of the alarm?: OK for a cheap system

2) Did you get any false alarms?: Yes as the system would reject some signals form detectors

3) Are you a professional installer or DIYer?: Professional

4) Would you recommend it?: For a budget system, Yes for a DIY/Sparky type alarm.

For me wireless is a good alternative and I do recommend it but others have there own views.  :rolleyes:

52369[/snapback]

Thanks for your balanced and informative response!!

Regards

Brum1969

An installer mentioned this in my previous post. However, after speaking to ESP themselves they poured doubts over his claims.

Hate to break the bubble, but they're hardly like to admit to any problems if they're trying to sell their panel. Personally as the other members have said, go for a wired system, in the long run you really will appreciate the benefits, wireless simply isnt up to the job.

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Hate to break the bubble, but they're hardly like to admit to any problems if they're trying to sell their panel.

52399[/snapback]

Just what I was going to say. I think the manufacturer would be inclined to be slightly biased.

I personally am not a fan of wireless, I've taken over a couple of wireless systems and have had various minor problems with them. They have been replaced with wired and have suffered no problems.

I would fit a wired over a wireless any day of the week unless there was absolutely no other option.

Morining Everyone!

Following on from my previous post on the Infinite alarm by ESP, I've contacted an NSI Gold registered firm who installs the ESP Infinite Class 5 alarm, along with other wireless and wired systems.  They state that its a superb system with an extremely good wireless coverage - better than the equivalent from Bosch.

They have installed quite a few of these and have only had one problem which was caused by the wireless bell module being struck by lightning.

Since the last post, has any other installer had any dealings with this alarm? If so..

1) How did you find the reliability of the alarm?

2) Did you get any false alarms?

3) Are you a professional installer or DIYer?

4) Would you recommend it?

My dilema at the moment is whether I pay £800 for the installation of a Scantronic 9751 plus £16 per month for a monitoring and maintenance contract, or pay around £400 for an ESP Infinite and install it myself.

Any comments?

Kind Regards

Brum1969

52363[/snapback]

Ive installed a couple of esp systems - had no problems - but Ive also install a few Powermax + systems - of the 2 I prefer the Powermax + at about £260.00 + vat for 3 pir, door contact etc its cheaper but not inferior

Guest brum1969
£400 is a lot of money for a DIY job, which is never going to carry any weight with your insurers.

All said and done, there is no subsitute for a well fitted wired system:

more reliable,

and can be upgraded in years to come using the existing wiring, when a wireless system is long since obsolete.

52395[/snapback]

Thanks for the replies guys!!

With hindsight, i'd have to agree that £400 is a tad high for a DIY job!!

I've had 1 written quote for £825 for a Scantronic 9751, and i'm waiting for another one tomorrow. I've just been told by the builder that a duct exists between the house and the garage so a fully wired system can be installed - GREAT!!!

As I presently have a Veritas R8, I think that i'll go for a Veritas R8 Plus so that it can be monitored. Has anyone got any ideas how much a Veritas R8 plus, 7 PIRs and 2 LCD keypad will cost to buy myself and to have fully installed? Obviously, I only want ball park figures

Kind regards

Brum1969

Sorry to sound a bit annoyed, but i do value the service that I can get from a qualified installer. But, I dont want to pay for something that i'm capable of installing myself.
Installing a wireless alarm isnt hard, no one would argue that i doubt, in fact i reckon a monkey could be trained to do it so you should have no problem either.

Where your going to come unstuck is when things start to go pear shaped, and this when your unlikley to be capable.

We dont give advice on here to protect our incomes, we wouldnt be here if we needed to. We give advice based on our proffesional experiences and generally the advice given is absolutly spot on, although sometimes our opinions differ.

In my opinion £800 maybe a little bit expensive but i havent seen the premises to be protected. Your not just paying the £800 for kit though, as im sure you realise.

If you have problems the extra £400 will seem like it would have been money well spent.

BTW Sorry if i sound annoyed but i get a bit miffed when people think we give advice here to increase our workloads or bank balances. Personally i have never had any finacial gain from this forum and i certainly dont give my advice in the hope that might change.

• 1 month later...
Guest tandyuk

Ok, ive installed one of these (for 3 days before it was ripped out and replaced) but i think this important for people to know.

The Installation environment was the cause of all the problems, as i'll explain below.

1) How did you find the reliability of the alarm? Poor in this situation

2) Did you get any false alarms? Yes - lots

3) Are you a professional installer or DIYer? Professional

4) Would you recommend it? Not near any Marina/Harbour.

The main issue we found with this system on closer inspection was the frequencies used by the system experience severe interferance from Maritime Radios.

Personally i dont know the specifics of the frequencies, but false alarms were caused regularly when there was heavy traffic on the radios.

Also on the same site we had similar problems when testing wireless CCTV cameras, and subsequently everything has been replaced by good old fashioned cables.

The installation site was about 500 yards from the local coastguard, and shoreham harbour.

In-land i doubt you would see many of the problems we had, but personally i'm staying away from wireless systems until theyre proven to be a little more reliable.

More likely it was the Radar that was interfering as radar uses anything between 20-40kw and concentrates in a narrow band as the "boom" or "beam" rotates around.

Archived