Security Installer Community

Electical Certificate

housty

Hi all

Could anyone tell me what test are involved in a domestic rewire before a Electical Certificate can be issued?

IE when all the cables are ran back to the consumer unit and ready to be connected in?

What readings do you measure?

housty

Houston Security Systems Ltd

Intruder alarms

CCTV

Door entry

Fire protection

Networking

SSAIB Approved

Hi all

Could anyone tell me what test are involved in a domestic rewire before a Electical Certificate can be issued?

IE when all the cables are ran back to the consumer unit and ready to be connected in?

housty

50693[/snapback]

Not an easy one to write about and not something you can do without training. I will start with pleasure but my list and the next post will not be comprehensive as different jobs different assessment.

1/ visual verification, this will check as far as reasonably possible that all cables are installed correctly and that besides sufficient mechanical protection has been observed that the same cables are wired in safe zones. Also selection and correct erection of equipment has been completed (size of cables for design current and fixing of same). Thermal effects will note cables in ambient temperatures as this will effect design.

2/ External short circuit current will be required to access the type and size of your overcurrent protective devices (fuses). We use an earth loop meter for this and then calculate the PSCC.

3/ Type of main earth and who is going to provide this. Different supply

Customers!

if you have to ask this question mate then its obvious you have had no experiance of carrying out inspection and testing and so i would recommend you leave well alone, like jef mentioned you will need test equipment required to perform tests in accordance with bs7671 wich aint cheap, ours cost £2000 the meters you will need are as listed;

insulation resistance/continuity tester

earth fault loop impedance/psc meter

rcd tester

and you would have to be familiar with how to perform the necessary tests i.e. continuity of ring mains etc and the paper work involved is a job in itself

Hi all

housty

50693[/snapback]

Have you done the wiring? It does sound as though you may out of your depth.

Have a look at Niceic and you also need to comply with Part P.

If your not sure get a Electrician in, and make sure he able to complete the job also.

Have you done the wiring? It does sound as though you may out of your depth.

Have a look at Niceic and you also need to comply with Part P.

If your not sure get a Electrician in, and make sure he able to complete the job also.

50854[/snapback]

the reason i was asking this was because i just started an electrican and he was saying its something i should look into doing.

I know there will be a lot to it i didnt think there wasn't.

I may be out of my depth but he wont be. :yes:

Houston Security Systems Ltd

Intruder alarms

CCTV

Door entry

Fire protection

Networking

SSAIB Approved

Okay mate, if you need any help Pm me then, but your spark is right, it is something you need to look at and you also need to ensure that his certificates are up to date.

Out of interest how much extra did your insurnace go up when you said you were doing electrical works?

Colin.

On a slightly related theme, rather than the NICEIC I've found an organisation called NAPIT who are a more cost effective means of getting certification at £300 per year if all you need it for is the odd spur.

I haven't heard of them before but has anyone else heard of them or had dealings with them?

On a slightly related theme, rather than the NICEIC I've found an organisation called NAPIT who are a more cost effective means of getting certification at £300 per year if all you need it for is the odd spur.

I haven't heard of them before but has anyone else heard of them or had dealings with them?

51192[/snapback]

Great for people who do not do loads of work - retiring old folk, or alarm eng's!!

You can't beat the reputation of NICEIC - they have the monopoly weather we like it or not. I am NICEIC approved, and have always found that the name makes work.

For you guys who need to comply to part p, they sound good. Although they will still want to see test certs, test results, accuracy of test instruments etc via calibration etc etc.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

Great for people who do not do loads of work - retiring old folk, or alarm eng's!!

You can't beat the reputation of NICEIC - they have the monopoly weather we like it or not.  I am NICEIC approved, and have always found that the name makes work.

51294[/snapback]

Have to say thats what made me want to pay the extra few quid for the NICEIC Domestic Installer (=Part P) scheme in the end. Whilst I have no intention of 'pretending' to be a full NICEIC member (after all, Security is most of the business) hopefully it will be more recognisable to the public. All a complete farce really though as I have pointed our in previous postings!

Stu.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

the reason i was asking this was because i just started an electrican and he was saying its something i should look into doing.

I know there will be a lot to it i didnt think there wasn't.

I may be out of my depth but he wont be. :yes:

51179[/snapback]

dont make the mistake of assuming that all electricians are competent to carry out electrical inspection and testing because it is a completely different aspect of electrical work, the best thing to do is employ a jib approved electrician who has had previous experiance of inspection and testing and also holds a c&g 2391, if your thinking about becoming nic approved you will need to appoint a qualifying manager who is responsible for verifying all certificates etc this person must have extensive knowledge of both the practical and theory aspect of inspection and testing

• 6 months later...
Guest johnburger
Hi all

housty

Basically insulation resistance, earth continuity, earth loop impedence, functionality, and inspection. You will need the correct equipment for each test and know that the design and cables meet all the relevant standards. For a domestic rewire you should be using a registered electrician or using the council to inspect and test at all stages.

Yes I am a member. They offer the full scheme as well and seem to be the friendliest of the bodies. My membership has paid for itself many times over, I must have had

Archived