Security Installer Community

Help Menvier TS500

Guest Pauld

Guest Pauld

I have recently serviced my burglar alarm (Menvier TS500) the control panel was working but the bell box was not making any sounds. I checked the voltage being sent to the bellbox from the control panel (13 volts at the control panel and 13 volts at the bell box) so there was definately current being sent to the bellbox. The problem seemed to be with the bell box. I disconnected this and removed it from the wall (control panel in engineeer mode) so that I could take a closer look at it. On further inspection it turned out to be a loose connection on the sounder which I resoldered. This fixed the problem (the back up battery in the bellbox was now able to sound it). I replaced the bellbox on the wall and rewired it in the correct way however, there is now no voltage entering the bell box from the control panel. When I check the voltage output from the control panel to the bell box this is now zero. I have no idea why this is the case. I would be grateful if you have any suggestions as to what I could do to get the control panel to send a current out to the bellbox, this is all that is preventing the system working again. Have I missed a crucial step? The control panel works and sets and resets and all the detectors work.

Also how do I change the entry delay time formt he factory default of 15 sec?

Hi Paul

Firstly, get yorself someone that knows what they are doing, post your general location and you will most likely get some offers from our forum members.

From your post its quite clear that you dont really know what you are doing, so there is going to be no chance of getting any tips to help you on your way.

When you say you wired it back up correctly, do you mean the same way as you took it down, or your interpritation of correctly.

It sounds like you have done the whole job with the alarm live and have shorted out the voltage supply.

For your information, the panel would send volts to the bell and the bell would draw current.

So all in all, you have probably killed your panel, you may be lucky to have only blown a fuse, or some other problem most of the guys here will know about, but I susspect you wont get it working now without a fuse change or a new panel board.

Guest Pauld

Thanks for the reply I will check the bell box fuse, the panel was in engineer mode before I took the box off the wall and actully still works. Yes, the bell box was rewired exactly as it was wired before. I took time to draw a full paln of the wiring before taking off the wall

I am just guessing at what you may have already done to your system.

I am by far NOT the best person to give you information and advice regarding alarms as my trade is cctv, but from an electronics point of view for which I am qualified I have to say that shorting the positive power to 0volts is never usually a good thing :smash:

But at a guess a £50 call out fee for repair is alot cheaper than a £700 alarm panel.

Get it serviced properly by a professional, get 3 quotes if you are worried.

Archived