Security Installer Community

Galaxy 8 - a few questions

Guest SoulessEye

Guest SoulessEye

Hi, I have a couple of questions about my Galaxy 8 panel I'd like to ask but first I guess I'd better give a bit of background.

I have a Galaxy 8 panel and Mk7 keypad that I currently have working on a test bed with 3 pirs (Optex DX40E dual tech) and two door contact switches. All remaining zones are linked with 1k resistors.

I still need the following:

A compatible bell box

From reading this forum it seems that the Texecom Odyssey 1, 2 or 3 would be a good choice (engineers hold off I think is going to be essential whilst I'm messing about with it) , is it ok to work with the Galaxy 8? Could anyone suggest a wiring scheme?

A battery for the Galaxy 8 Panel

Again could anyone recommend one?

A 24 connection or higher junction box

I can only seem to get 6 or 8 connections, can anyone suggest anywhere I can get one of these?

I'm in the South between the Kingston, Wimbledon area, can anyone suggest an alarm equipment supplier I could get the bits from (I'm quite happy to get them online - it's just that I haven't found any yet). Also I'd be quite keen to have someone look over the installation or commission the system, is anyone in this area prepared to do that and if so can you give me an idea of the cost?

Appologies for the number of questions - but thanks in advance for any help.

cheers

Dave

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi dave,

Why such a big capacity joint box?

Do you have a manual for the Galaxy as they are not a DIY panel.

Best thing to do is offer the gear to a local company, they may or may not choose to install it for you but at least you will get correct guidance on such an important issue as security.

Was it an EBAY purchase?

Paul

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

Hmm, you've got this butt about face to be honest. You should have come here before buying any bits, from eBay. ;)

Bell box, any will work. Odyssey are a good choice, although if you're getting a company in to do the commisioning you'd be better getting hold of them before doing anything else as most like to fit there own.

Battery, depends what devices you've got on it.

24 connection junction box, oh dear! I can't see any reason why you would need 24+ connections on a system, in one place, apart from in the panel itself.

By the sounds of it, you'd be best advised to get someone in to look at fitting the system for you. I personally wouldn't be too keen o taking this one over after you'd installed it, especially with it being a Galaxy, they're not for DIY.

Guest SoulessEye

Hi Paul, thanks for replying. The house came pre-wired with 6 core alarm wire and I need to extend these four wires as the panel is too big for the area that the wires currently end. I assume 4 wires x 6 cores = 24 terminals or have I got that totally wrong?

I have considered the professional install route but all the companies I spoke to wanted an extortionate amount of money to install it and that's after I'd bought the panel and the pirs (I bought them specifically as I wanted Optex DX40). Maybe I just got unlucky with the companies I contacted but it was enough to put me off, if anyone here would like to suggest a price I'd be interested to hear.

I'm pretty handy at most stuff and pretty good at wiring and the panel isn't that hard to understand. The most difficult bit was the EOL stuff. Like I say I have the panel working on a test bed and all that's left is the bell box, junction box and backup battery for the panel.

Many thanks

Dave

Guest SoulessEye

Hi Lurch, replies are contained within your quote and at the bottom of the post.

Hmm, you've got this butt about face to be honest. You should have come here before buying any bits, from eBay. ;)

Ahh, the benefit of hindsight - why was I born soo human  ;) .  Well I really can't do anything about that now.

Bell box, any will work. Odyssey are a good choice, although if you're getting a company in to do the commisioning you'd be better getting hold of them before doing anything else as most like to fit there own.

Ok, thanks for that - can you suggest anyone in my area that could commission it?

Battery, depends what devices you've got on it.

Just what you see bud.

24 connection junction box, oh dear! I can't see any reason why you would need 24+ connections on a system, in one place, apart from in the panel itself.

Ok, looks like I've made a bad assumption here so I posted for advice, but hey isn't that what the DIY forum is about?

By the sounds of it, you'd be best advised to get someone in to look at fitting the system for you. I personally wouldn't be too keen o taking this one over after you'd installed it, especially with it being a Galaxy, they're not for DIY.

48911[/snapback]

The panel is up and running on a test bed. If I have the panel working correctly on the test bed all I need to do is to put the pirs and door contacts in their final operational places can't see why I need to spend £400 to get someone to do that for me.

If you could give me some advice about the battery and junction box I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Dave

Hold on a minute lads.

Prewired house 4 CABLES.

3 PIRS

2 CONTACTS

1 KEYPAD

1 SPEAKER

1 BELL

I make it that there should be 8 CABLES.

So how much is PREWIRED?

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I was just thinking that, 4 cables aren't enough for this job, and the keypad will need re-wiring or even wiring. Sounds to me like the simple sounding job of just install and commission, (note: sarcasm), would be more like 70-80% of a full install.

The prices you have quoted sound about right for what the job involves, i.e. fit panel, add more cables (same amount as are there), fit devices bells and speaker, commision & test, drink cuppa etc...

I think you're just expecting it to be cheaper because you bought a panel off eBay, there's more to it than buying cheap eqpt, we don't come for free!

Archived