Security Installer Community

Scart to BNC query

Guest LazyBob

Guest LazyBob

Hi, I'm new here and was hoping someone might be able to help.

I've got a DVR that has a BNC video input and a camera (Micro Cam B&W with Audio) but it has a scart connector (male).

I've searched the internet for a female to BNC connector but can't find one (I don't often look for these kind of things). Well I can - I found one with four BNC connectors but my DVR has only one input per camera and no extra audio inputs.

Can anyone help me locate a suitable adapter?

Will I stil get the Audio from the camera via a BNC plug into the DVR (it works OK via the Scart into the TV)

Thanks

Bob

Doubt you'll find one either. Best bet is a male SCART to phono adaptor (this will be a SCART to 3 phono, video, L&R audio), female to female SCART and a phono to BNC lead. They're all here somewhere.

You're audio won't work as you've only got video inputs on your DVR by the sound of it. If the DVR has got audio inputs then you'll need a lead to run from the audio phono on the SCART adaptor mentioned above to the audio input jack on the DVR.

I've got a DVR that has a BNC video input and a camera (Micro Cam B&W with Audio) but it has a scart connector (male).

I've searched the internet for a female to BNC connector but can't find one (I don't often look for these kind of things). Well I can - I found one with four BNC connectors but my DVR has only one input per camera and no extra audio inputs.

Will I stil get the Audio from the camera via a BNC plug into the DVR (it works OK via the Scart into the TV)

Thanks

Bob

46284[/snapback]

My experience of cameras that come with SCART connections is that they are generally sold in DIY stores - if you have gone to the expense of buying a DVR then I would strongly recommend getting your hands on a professional camera for the few extra pounds it will cost.

In any case, I would try if you can to avoid the adaptor route if you dont mind invalidating the warranty on the camera. It would be far better to convert the scart into two phono plugs (I would of course recommend a BNC direct but cant see it going onto a multicore cable!) and connect a BNC-Phone adaptor to your DVR. But to be fair, this is a bodge in that Phono connectors were never really meant for video (probably open a can of worms there!).

I realise that all the above will mean nothing if you dont have a soldering iron of the required skills. If you do, theres a good SCART pinout here just scroll down to Composite Video.

Stu.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Guest LazyBob

I realise that all the above will mean nothing if you dont have a soldering iron of the required skills. If you do, theres a good SCART pinout here just scroll down to Composite Video.

Stu, I can wield a soldering iron so the physical bits are not a problem. Would I just need pin 19 for the video out, I'm not sure if composite video includes audio?

I've got a 'proper' colour camera that comes with a BNC connector but it doesn't have audio, I bought the MicroCam mainly for it's audio capabilities which seem quite good via the scart on the TV.

cheers

Bob

Stu, I can wield a soldering iron so the physical bits are not a problem. Would I just need pin 19 for the video out, I'm not sure if composite video includes audio?

46312[/snapback]

Simple way to remember is as follows.

Video = video.

Audio = audio.

See, simple!

To answer your question, video does not include audio.

I've got a 'proper' colour camera that comes with a BNC connector but it doesn't have audio, I bought the MicroCam mainly for it's audio capabilities which seem quite good via the scart on the TV.

46312[/snapback]

Unfortunately, unless you do have an audio input on the DVR, your audio camera will be of no use on the audio front on playback. You could use the audio for live images only by bypassing the DVR and feeding the audio straight to the TV but if you have a decent camera with no audio I would use that instead. If you want audio, and it's for the front door, then CPC have got some cheapy door intercoms for 30ish GBP.

I wouldn't bother trying to 'adapt' the existing cable as my experience of them is the cable is that cheap and thin it's next to useless for trying to terminate. Although t'other Stu is correct in that multiple connections should be avoided I doubt it will make any noticable difference in the case of a cheapy camera.

Simple way to remember is as follows.

Video = video.

Audio = audio.

See, simple!

To answer your question, video does not include audio.

Unfortunately, unless you do have an audio input on the DVR, your audio camera will be of no use on the audio front on playback. You could use the audio for live images only by bypassing the DVR and feeding the audio straight to the TV but if you have a decent camera with no audio I would use that instead. If you want audio, and it's for the front door, then CPC have got some cheapy door intercoms for 30ish GBP.

I wouldn't bother trying to 'adapt' the existing cable as my experience of them is the cable is that cheap and thin it's next to useless for trying to terminate. Although t'other Stu is correct in that multiple connections should be avoided I doubt it will make any noticable difference in the case of a cheapy camera.

46315[/snapback]

Agreed with the other Stu myself - just looked in my bin of stuff and said 'SCART' camera uses telephone cord wire! Although to be fair I was coming from the corner of neatness rather than picture quality there ^_^

Stu.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Guest Interlynx Security

Thanks

Bob

46284[/snapback]

hack lead apart and connect as follows:

(or buy a female scart socket and connect to these pins and insert camera scart plug in to your new homemade adapter)

Video

pin 17 to outside of bnc

pin 19 to pin of bnc

Audio

pin 3 to pin of phono plug

pin 4 to outside of phono plug

echo comments posted previously by others about buying better quality kit ; )

however if your "cheap" cam looks straight at a street light at night and you only want to see the shape of someone outside then you may have saved a few quid!

I would hazzard a guess that you wouldnt be able to use the images as evidence tho!

Regards

James

Guest LazyBob

Thanks to everybody.

I'll get my snips and soldering iron out and give it a go. If all else fails I can always resurrect the scart and plug it straight into a VCR and press the record button when I need to get audio.

Very helpful forum indeed.

Bob

Archived