Security Installer Community

Alarm installation - cable type query

Guest rjenkins

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still running in and out working on it! - but I keep having to go back out and put the flames out - so I moddified the petrol tank and fuel lines to cope with the new tin-foil wires, but I now have an over-grounding situation and my teeth pick up radio 1 whilst im in the car due to the capacitance of my metal fillings being in close proximity to an earth structure in the car which is not grounded in itself to true earth - oh dear, back to the drawing board...........

BS 4737 3.3.3 States that the size and material of the interconnecting cable and its insulation shall be such that the voltage delivered to any device or equipment is not less than than the minimum specified operating voltage when measured in the maximum current condition and with the minimum power supply voltage :blink:

Only in BS 7437 3.3.5 Flexible interconnections, does state what type of cable to use..

which is class 5 of a nominal cross section of 0.5mm2, complying with table 3 of BS 6360:1981 and having a PVC insulation not less than 0.25mm, complying with BS 6746..

So now you all know :P

On a side note, some panels don't like the use of screen cable on the data lines, I think it to do with the capacitance of the cable..

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

I experience no problems at all with my alarm system caused by Radio Equipment, the system is a Galaxy 60 and the only runs of screened cables go to the keypad and a zone expansion unit (RIO). All other cabling is standard 8 core ALARM cable.

Alarm cable isn`t expensive, and its always best to use the right cable for the job as I`m sure you know, but try to avoid any cable joining...

From a fellow Radio Ham operating on all modes HF,6M,2M,70cms.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest rjenkins
BS 4737 3.3.3 States that the size and material of the interconnecting cable and its insulation shall be such that the voltage delivered to any device or equipment is not less than than the minimum specified operating voltage when measured in the maximum current condition and with the minimum power supply voltage :blink:

Only in BS 7437 3.3.5 Flexible interconnections, does it state what type of cable to use..

which is class 5 of a nominal cross section of 0.5mm2, complying with table 3 of BS 6360:1981 and having a PVC insulation not less than 0.25mm, complying with BS 6746..

So now you all know :P

On a side note, some panels don't like the use of screen cable on the data lines, I think it to do with the capacitance of the cable..

44766[/snapback]

Many thanks, that's the type of info I was looking for.

It does raise another question - if 0.5mm2 is required, why is alarm cable 7x0.2 which is about 0.22mm2 ??

Robert Jenkins.

BS 7437 3.3.5 Flexible interconnections .. does it state what type of cable to use..

Thats for FLEXIBLE connections.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Guest rjenkins
With your qualification your clearly better edumacated than me!

Ive already stated what the recommended cable is to use and your questioning that so clearly your going to use whatever cable you have "lying around".

I understand why you would consider using a shielded cable in the circumstance you have described, no doubt you will and it will work electrically of course.

Your plan falls flat on its face though as none of the sensors or control panels will be shielded, as far as i am aware no one makes equipment for the security alarms market that is protected from strong radio signals.

My advice to you would be to use the manufactures cable recommendations and if your not happy with that take it up with them.

44755[/snapback]

I've got to disagree here. Any CE marked equipment should have passed EMC compatibility tests, and many manufacturers exceed the CE requirements and quote the figures.

Look at any Texecom spec sheet and you will see an RF Immunity rating.

Their RF series PIRs are designed for nasty environments and have much higher immunity ratings.

Archived