Security Installer Community

In the trade

whistle

Was just wondering how long some of us have been in the industry and doing what?

I did 5 years of install of intruder mostly domestic banghead then the 9 years on service of intruder, fire, cctv and access and the last 2 1/2 years on intruder only service as senior engineer at a large national. How about you lot ??

Was just wondering how long some of us have been in the industry and doing  what?

I did 5 years of install of intruder mostly dometic banghead  then the 9 years on service of intruder, fire, cctv and access and the last 2 1/2 years on intruder only service as senior engineer at a large national. How about you lot ??

44308[/snapback]

2 years install on intruder, about 4 years service on intruder and fire, last 2 years of which purely fire then the last 12 months or so commissioning engineer for national

I started off for a small firm in 96 and moved to a local rival after being poached for more money. Stayed there on install and service across all faiths until 2002 when my boss chucked in the towel to retire. He had no next of kin and wanted the nice life in Spain so sold up to my current employer. There for the last 2.5 years I'm their CCTV manager albeit I do callout duty for the extra dosh and it keeps my alarm skills current.

ACE.gif

done 2 years electrical apprenticeship (laid off by employer) then factory maintainance and started this game jan 2004 i work on all aspects of intruder, cctv and door access

still got a lot to learn but thats where you guys come in ;)

1992 started in Electronics servicing, and ended up servicing TL VCR's for the company I then went to work for doing CCTV from 94, Did 6 years there and another few years for a large international co, mainly involved with CCTV though.

I started doing alarms about 4 years ago when I was a sparky, (sorry), mainly domestic.

I've started doing more in the last 12 months and am now moving away from electrical a bit.

Only started in this game june 96 (I Think), was installing on my own after the 1st week. Mainly Intruder the first few years with some cctv & fire thrown in. That company was bought out in 1998 and I was then mainly just servicing, building Police cell call & attack panels, electrical property maintenance, and access control. I`ve done a bit of everything really. Started this site 23-December 02 and have been learning everyday since.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Started in summer of 98. Installed intruder, cctv & access. Left 03 went subby to a firm in london doing access. Then decided to try and keep local, so now on a firm on the coast doing mainly fire servicing, but doing the odd security job (which seems to be picking up!) But still doing 40k a year in miles! banghead

Chubb Service Engineer

1997 officially self-employed doing domestic and very small commercial at the time.

Have worked for a local national but didnt get on with boss (once your self-employed you cant work for anyone else again - its just a thing or a trait).

So now I do some subbying, but mainly I do my own stuff as I like to do things my way as my own boss.

So its mainly alarms domestic and commercial, small and large, with the larger red care jobs taken over by the company I subby for who are NACOSS gold, I cant mention them as I dont want my views associated with that company, due to recent events on the forum.

Blimey! This dates me left school in '75,4yr apprenticeship with GEC diesel generator manufacturer C&G in electrical installation(high speed train/mod work)Left '81 to do service with fruit m/c -juke boxes-videos ran workshop and outsites for a while got talking to moderns engineer and joined Ipswich branch as service engineer,transfered to install(unusuall way round but got sick of pager vibrating across bedside table at 3 am with new born babe!)Went thru Britania/Ambassador///.National Installer.///Secom now with multinational driving a PC more and more so have been in the business about 20yrs apart from aches still feel 30 untill i look in the mirror and see my dad looking back!!!!!!! wierd!!!.Paul :blink:

Hi All,

I got into this game a few months after leaving school in '90 started off life with a small local co as an apprentice and over the years worked for several other co's, moved on to large regional co and then some subby work, did a spot of working for myself and now for my sins i've ended up at //.National Installer.//. working as a service eng. So 15 years in the business on and off.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

2004-present Official Texecom Premier advocator/defender on The Security Installer  :P

44406[/snapback]

Does that make us national engineers the defenders of the Galaxy :unsure::roflmao:

I'll not wait for the company issue super hero cape... :whistle:

Probably more like the Galaxy mafia, ie mess with our Galaxys and expect to wake up with a horse's head in your bed  :P

44427[/snapback]

You crack me up Monteey :roflmao:

Regards

Bellman

Started '95 as apprentice electrician, went to college, day release for 3 years then night classes for 4 years,

Been at same local Authority since leaving school.

Good points - Vast scope of work

Bad points - MONEY banghead

Dean Wholey

NCC

Dean.Wholey@Ntlworld.com

I'm tempted to put toooooooooooooooo long :cry:

anyhow lets see, i,m 43 now and way back when i was a lad of 21 i joined Modern initially as install then after 3 years i progressed onto service. i left there after another 3.5 years just prior to lander///.National Installer.// takeovers. A short time(3 months) spent at a local company near where i now live that had big promises but unfortunately to many bouncy cheques :realmad: led to me eventually working for a guarding/alarm company based in hull for about 1.5 years. This was where this smart Alec who thought he knew everything after being at modern soon realised that there was a lot he did,nt know, EOL etc !!:smash:

My next was as a install engineer and then service at a newly formed company that was owned by my ex manager at modern and that lasted 8.5 years until Chubby bought him out. I lasted a year and half before i got fed up with the big company mentality and moved to my present job as a service engineer with a Leeds based company, where i,ve been for the last 4 years covering the east coast and doing about 36000 a year in the process!!

i must admit i find it hard at times to realise i,ve been in this industry for 22 years but I'm still learning new thing now - especially CCTV which i had,nt really touched before i started here and i must admit i actually enjoy it :yes:

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

left school in 92 done me sparky apprentiship and then a further 2 years sparkying moved to new area and got job with national out of The Sun,(looking for electricians to become security engineers) , done 5yrs on and off and worked through the ranks but couldnt get much further so started on me own just over a year ago .

Chris

Trade Member

As Mr Kingswood said "Dont forget the 6 P's when installing.....Proper Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance!!!"

John Kingswood(alais Nobby), Paul Earl Ltd 1985-2006

Only started in this game june 96 (I Think), was installing on my own after the 1st week.

Lying bugger you were with Cliff!! And I commissioned them all in those days.

I started in 1990, having done some as foreigner type installs before hand.

Employed Dave (Service Engineer) and aren

Big Jig.

Trade Member

Quality Manager

Direct Security Systems (Midlands) Limited

NSI Gold.

Good engineers always ask questions!!

12 Yrs. First System installed in 93. Started dablling between shifts when working for NWBank and it went on from there really doing family, friends, colleagues etc.

Fitted a couple of hundred by the time I left the Bank and been at it full time since 2002. Went to work for a National for a short period but stuck it two months and realised that commercial wasn''t the mystery I thought it may have been. (Wasn't happy ripping people off either). Once you've been your own boss, I think it stays that way !

Mainly do all my own installs & servicing (keeps it personal) - mainly domestic and small commercials & a couple of nationals Co's, Have a support network from other local installers in the same boat and pull in a few subby's when I need to for larger jobs. Enjoy the job, depsite the hours but loathe the paperwork.

ARJ

A nearly retired previous installer !

Archived