Security Installer Community

Can I use my old bell box.

Guest alankearn

Unless Bell boxes are ready fitted with backup batteries when bought new, it cannot have one  because I have not installed one.

Thanks for your patience

Alan

39333[/snapback]

Yes, modern bell boxes are fitted with an internal rechargeable battery and are set to sound for a maximum of 20 minutes. I think you normally buy the battery separately and fit it on installation. Your bell box maybe never had the battery fitted or wasn't designed for it (odd)?

The battery is so that an intruder can't silence your alarm easily (as yours could be) and the timing is for "noise pollution" reasons as mentioned earlier.

Here is my input Alan.

Ive changed an A1 external sounder this week, they are are a poor excuse for a bellbox. Your box isnt working as it should. I understand the situation that your in but you could get an external sounder for a touch over £20 and get a young neighbour or relative whos able enough to hang it for you. Have a look at the Texecom range of sounders.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Alan, from outside all a potential burglar can judge your system on, is the quality of the external sounder fitted to it. Sorry to say but A1 are very poorly regarded by burglars and proffesional Installers.

Please change the A1 box, it has little value as a deterrant.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Alan, from outside all a potential burglar can judge your system on, is the quality of the external sounder fitted to it.  Sorry to say but A1 are very poorly regarded by burglars and proffesional Installers.

Please change the A1 box, it has little value as a deterrant.

39451[/snapback]

True and a couple of flashing LEDs in the box makes a difference to i think.

Guest alankearn

It looks like a score of 10 to 1 for a new box So i am going to buy a new wired system including a new box.

Just curious about this though in my first post I mentioned that my present system was a wireless alarm and that it had occasionally been going off for no apparent reason. Is it possible for a microwave oven placed about 5 feet from the control box to set of false alarms because there is many a time that we leave the microwave timer to come on half an hour before we come home and occasionally the alarm has being going off when we get home, probably coincidence though

Thanks

Alan

Good on ya Alan, atleast you ll have a proper alarm system a few extra quid to look after your valubles is worth it.

As for your problem id say it could be factor but im sure one of the wizz kids on here will have a better idea than me.

Microwave ovens give of spurious RF energy which could interfere with other electrical items - especially a wireless security alarm, so yes it might well have been that, it was also close to the control panel which makes me even more suspicious.

Archived