Security Installer Community

Fire Alarm

Tried to post a question in the Fire Alarm section, but can't. Hope it's ok to here.

I have to link the firealarm in a pub to the extractor fans in the kitchen. Alarm sounds, trips the motor starter.

Easy to do using the aux relay contacts in the panel, and the panel 24v supply to power a relay. (which will open the contacts on the fan starter).

Ok, the question.....

Does the cable from the panel to the relay ( which will be in a gewiss box approx 5m away), have to be FP or similar??

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No it doesnt have to be be in FP but obviously is good practice to run it in FP.

39155[/snapback]

cheers guys. I was thinking that if I was using the panel 24v to feed the relay, if the cable suffered fire damage, the panel fuse would blow = no sounders!

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

Does the cable from the panel to the relay ( which will be in a gewiss box approx 5m away), have to be FP or similar??

39152[/snapback]

Depends who the fire officer is, but good practice says yes.

I've linked relays from fire panels to intruder alarms before and FP has been specified even though it is just connected to a standard relay in a plastic box at the other end.

I thought only the sounders had to be FP?

39276[/snapback]

Technically yes, but it's usually easier to wie it all in FP than try and convince the person who drew up the spec any different than they have decided.

I think in general everyone wires the complete fire alarm in FP, I always have and I'm not one for doing unneccesary work. It's just become one of those done things.

Archived