Security Installer Community

best cable for alarm fitting ?

Guest Mickie D

Guest Mickie D

hope everyone had a great christmas :)

i am in the middle of buying a new system (texecom premier) and wondered what cable was the best to use.... i friend said use BT cable but i dont think thats right is it.. and i have not used it in the past.

and it will be 8 core or should i go higher if possible for upgrades etc in the future ?

cheers all

Yup. 8 core alarm cable is the best, although a pain in the butt for contacts. Alarm cable is multi-stranded meaning it's quite flexible for going around corners.

BT cable, I presume you're on about phone cable yes? Well this has a single inner core that degrades very quickly from metal fatigue. In short, bend it around a corner, or twist it into a terminal block or a strip or if you bend it back and forth just a few times, the core will break completely.

ACE.gif

Guest Mickie D
Yup. 8 core alarm cable is the best, although a pain in the butt for contacts. Alarm cable is multi-stranded meaning it's quite flexible for going around corners.

BT cable, I presume you're on about phone cable yes? Well this has a single inner core that degrades very quickly from metal fatigue. In short, bend it around a corner, or twist it into a terminal block or a strip or if you bend it back and forth just a few times, the core will break completely.

35523[/snapback]

yeah i got some multi stranded 8 core cable :)

im doing my cable runs this week ;)

im wondering is it ok to run the same alarm cables next to each other ?

i just drilled to large augerbit all the way up the house in one section, loking to make the alarm 12 - 16 zone depending on how many windows he wants alarmed ?

i have kept the alarm cables away from the mains and television cable so far but there is 2 points where i go to the cornor of the room and the runs will need to go in the same run as the lights but on the opisite joist... should i buy some plastic trunking and run that along the joists and put the cable in it, or is it ok to run the same run as the mains just as long as they are not tight together ?

and one last question is should i put the PIR (movement sensors) next to the window but facing the room (not the window) or should i put them in the cornor facing the window but still a nice distance away from the window ?

thanks for the help

Mickie D

should i buy some plastic trunking and run that along the joists and put the cable in it,  or is it ok to run the same run as the mains just as long as they are not tight together ?

35772[/snapback]

Ideally as far away as possible, but I wouldn't put them any closer than a few inches. I think 50mm is the recommended minimum.

and one last question is should i put the PIR (movement sensors) next to the window but facing the room (not the window) or should i put them in the cornor facing the window but still a nice distance away from the window ?

35772[/snapback]

Ooh, plenty of discussion on that one. See this thread.

Guest Mickie D
Ideally as far away as possible, but I wouldn't put them any closer than a few inches. I think 50mm is the recommended minimum.

35777[/snapback]

well joists are normally 400MM apart and one is on the one joist and the alarm wil be on the other... so around 300 - 390 they will be apart, would you guys recommend me trunking them in or not needed ?

Hello, *jumps up and waves*,

Ideally as far apart as possible, at least 50mm is recommendeed but I always go for at least a few inches.

Don't use trunking, it's not neccesary.

Do you want me to come and do it for you?

Archived