Security Installer Community

Securing alarm cable to UPVC window?

Guest rafal

What I meant was, I'd rather see trunking to a detector rather than just cable and although it isn't as discreet I think it looks more professional.

Yeah it can discolour(bare cables discolour over time, especially in kitchens) but it can be painted or use silicone which won't discolour as quickly and can be peeled away with the cable if it needs replacing. I know it's all down to personal choice but I wouldn't use a glue gun, I would trunk, everytime.

If you don't know......ask.

Fair play to you then mate, there is no right and wrong here, but do you think that professional looking cabling and trunking is better than more descreet methods?

34965[/snapback]

Yeah, there's no right or wrong. I'd go for professional looking over discrete every time, unless the discrete was professional looking(straight into a cavity, etc).

If you don't know......ask.

• 4 weeks later...

Glue guns I found to be too messy and faffy. I use "no more nails" in the cartridge format. Squirt a nice line of glue along the frame, stick the cable down and then use a damp piece of kitchen roll to wipe along the cable removing the excess glue.

Use the right amount of glue (i.e. don't be stingey) and the glue fills in any gaps between the cable and window frame (like using caulking) resulting in a VERY unobtrusive cable run, it just blends in perfectly... of course this only works with white UPVC! :D

Every single customer I have used this on has been most chuffed with the result! :)

Archived