Security Installer Community

Newbie Question! Wireless Alarms

Guest pmdonovan

Guest pmdonovan

Hi. Have been thrust into the world of alarms by purchasing a house with 2 alarm systems installed (Paragon E and Omnichron 8000). Omnichron appears to be the oldest, then the house was extended to include a granny flat, where the Paragon is installed. My intention is to incorporate both areas into one new alarm system. Called the installation company who supplied the Omnichron, who quoted £255 to rip out both alarms and reinstall a budget alarm, with 5 PIRs. I work in the security industry (but nothing at all to do with alarms!!!) and this seems alarmingly cheap (no pun intended).

Have made enquiries with a couple of other companies in the North West, one of whom is visiting next week. They supply and fit the Scantronic 9851, and due to a large amount of redecorating which has taken place in the house, am looking at specifying wireless for the installation. Wife is deeply suspicious of anyone who claims that they can install a wired alarm system without damaging her house interior and is keen on this (6 PIR) option. All the floor boards are covered with hardboard and I would imagine that if we did consider a wired option, the existing cabling would not be used.

Grateful for any advice or comments from the forum about the alarm panel and using wireless. I am interested to find out how long batteries last in the sensors and whether replacement is trivial, or whether it will require an engineer. Also, any idea how much a 9851, 6x wireless PIR, 2x PA and 3 contact switches might cost would be appreciated! Sorry to have so many questions - this is a steep learning curve!!

Thanks in advance.

Paul

B) Boy that sounds cheap! but hey you live in the north west area if your not a million miles away from me, What town are you in? (or the nearest main town)

I would be happy to come over and give some impartial advice!

What ever you do you wont go far wrong In asking this forum details of the quotes you receive, If possible list the make of the equipment to be used and if it is yours or rented, as well as the price.

Myself I don't rate wireless systems at all. (but thats just me!)

A good installer can install a wired system and in many cases you will never know its wired. ( all subject to how it goes on the day of install) Every property is different.

Good luck

Adrian B)

Guest pmdonovan

Peter,

Many thanks for the quick reply. In this part of the North West there are a wide range of companies with small ads offering full alarm systems for around £150. Your analogy about motherboards has clarified the matter perfectly and I will certainly get more quotes and try to veer off the wireless angle. I work on securing wireless networks and I know what a pain they are, even in non critical situations, so I am certainly looking at a wired solution which won't disturb too much in the way of carpeting and wall coverings.

Adrian,

I'm located in Swinton, Gtr Manchester and would appreciate taking you up on your offer, unless I am too far afield for you. Is it okay to approach you by email?

Thanks again

Paul

Hi,

You mentioned that a company was coming to survey your house and would fit a Scantronic 9851. Ask them about the RFX expanders for this system. These are an add-on to the 9851, or 9751/2 alarm panels, each giving up to 8 wirefree zones plus panic zone.

These are great if your house will pose a problem with hiding cables. Other posts here have said they no longer use wireless, but I can assure you that these are a far cry from the older radio systems. Scantronic insist that strict guidlines are followed with installation to ensure 100% reliability.

Basically the panel gets 240V from the mains. The bell box, speaker, keypad(s) and the actual RFX expander unit are all hardwired into the panel and all your PIRs, Contacts and PAs are wire-free.

Just thought I'd let you know, but they're not cheap.

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

B) Yes drop me a mail

Just checked where you are on auto route, mmm a little further than I normally go as I live near Mold by chester. I might be able to sort something out for you

ADrian B)

Guest pmdonovan

cheers for all your help. The first company rep is visiting next Wednesday, so I should get an idea of what he is specifying later that day. I'll post the spec here (if that's okay) and ask for your thoughts.

Very grateful for all of your assistance and patience. Think that wireless is off the list after forum comments and some extra research. Reckon that if I take the wife out for the day when it's installed, she'll never notice the wires!!

Paul

Peter,

Never new about those problems, although I've only ever fitted about 5 Scanny radio systems. I'll tell you one good system though, the ATI 8000. Batteries last a few years and I've seen many installed with just one single cable used (for the BT connection) no mains! Not sure whether the backup is recharged off BT voltage or it just lasts a long time? Its class VI and its been around for years, I think its obsolete now though.

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

Guest pmdonovan

Thanks Fastcar,

Nova is on my shortlist for additional quotes, however in addition to Nova Electronics, there is Nova Security, the latter who is an NSI Systems Silver installer; both of whom seem to operate out of Salford. Probably give them both a go, just to be fair!

Paul

Archived