Security Installer Community

SMPS vs Linear

4 hours ago, Imnotshankled said:

A issue of switch mode PSUs use underrated components  or the components are under stress

But your talking about quality, manufacturing and so on , I think your under stress ?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Imnotshankled said:

A issue of switch mode PSUs use underrated components  or the components are under stress

No its just you could overrun a linear psu.A switch mode will disconnect on the same overload. However the losses on a linear are huge. id estimate a new psu on an average system will save over 80 quid a year. That was before the current prices for electric. 

Id say its worth replacing linear psu for switch mode now more than ever.

Logan just dont tell your parents how much electric your old gear hobby is costing them.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

The only benefits of linear is they are simple and less noisy.

They are heavy and consume a lot more power. Rectification circuit dumps energy as heat, especially so for alarms due to the headroom we have.

I do prefer a good linear supply for audio but they have seen there day for everything else.

Very few Texe ones stopped working as a PS (no idea about Pyronix), they just threw errors on the keypad.

All electronic devices are more complex now to reduce energy, just like all ICE cars are full of electronics and valves to reduce emissions.

More complex, more chance of issues, that doesn't mean you halt progress and live in a cave.

4 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Very few Texe ones stopped working as a PS (no idea about Pyronix), they just threw errors on the keypad.

All electronic devices are more complex now to reduce energy, just like all ICE cars are full of electronics and valves to reduce emissions.

More complex, more chance of issues, that doesn't mean you halt progress and live in a cave.

I'm not saying don't use them  I'm saying to make them better 

The pyronix enforcer PSUs would just drop thier output to 1 or 2 volts and panel would run on the backup battery until it went flat