Security Installer Community

Manufacturers product life expectancy

I saw this today and it made me think. Today I talked someone through the log on an Ab72 that panel is 25 to 30 years old. We have allsorts of older panels out there all in good working order, It goes to show a serviced system last way beyond its life expectancy. But it always surprises me when a customer complains that their 30 year old panel needs to be replaced, Ill send them this picture the next time it happens. 

new alarm.JPG

1 hour ago, PeterJames said:

I saw this today and it made me think. Today I talked someone through the log on an Ab72 that panel is 25 to 30 years old. We have allsorts of older panels out there all in good working order, It goes to show a serviced system last way beyond its life expectancy. But it always surprises me when a customer complains that their 30 year old panel needs to be replaced, Ill send them this picture the next time it happens. 

new alarm.JPG

You know they are headache.......

I feel they are mostly thought of as an electrical installation where it may need a rewire at some distant point in time, but it isn't the components are electronic and far from basic like outlets and switches.

How many other electronic things around the house last for decades...

The oldest thing in my gaff is the ch boiler @ 25yrs (timer and stat <2yrs), simple and effective so it'll stay until it falls over the covers never been off in the 15 years we've been here. n

Next is the alarm @ 15yrs, again it'll stay until I see a benefit of changing it as it rarely gets used. 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Another week another mong...

2 retail units

1 g2-12 or similar with tyco conventional fire alarm

1cd 95 or similar, keypad internal siren + zone expander + c-tec conventional fire alarm

these used to be part of 3 retail units, need to be dualcom & level

does not want "a new alarm" I think the Aritech endstation is in the unit she does not rent

My life is too short for this shite...

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God