Security Installer Community

Having an alarm running on batteries is NOT a new idea

For those that have never seen them, allow me to introduce you to "The flag cell" (1st picture) They are like a "Torch battery" only much bigger, and were 1.4v (I think some were 1.5v ?)

Some alarms ran entirely on these, no power supply, just a bunch of these in the panel. (2nd Picture) Over time when power supplies were used for the panel, they still relied on (What is now known as) End of line cells, these were often found in the most obscure places (Which always took ages to find) but were always to be found in these custom-made battery box holders (3rd Picture)

The pictures are not all from the same house, but there was one person who refused to upgrade her alarm and she used to supply the batteries for us, and no, we are not talking late 70s, one was still working  in 2001 (When I took the picture)

Believe it or not, these cells are still made today (2022) and they are £17.40 each

Flag cell.jpg

Flag box.jpg

Panel.jpg

• Upvote 2

I don't have a signature.

29 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Yeah Yeah we can all remember putting the needle in the right place to reset an alarm, then later rewinding the 4 trac to reset, tell us something we dont know!

As you seem to not like to share such information with people that have never seen such things, I ask that you remove the picture since I can not do so.

I don't have a signature.

2 hours ago, Monte Carlo said:

As you seem to not like to share such information with people that have never seen such things, I ask that you remove the picture since I can not do so.

I didnt say I didnt like it, just bantering with you thats all no offence intended

3 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

40Ah alkaline cells.

I suppose these are still in use for other applications for them to still be in manufacturer, even if it is very low quantity.

google says marine use & railways....

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

I'm just hobby these days thanks for asking, however I have a stack of type 12 iron batteries from submarine days I can't work out a use for

7 hours ago, Monte Carlo said:

Don't worry or be precious we all value your input. If you from the intruder game even Mr h is light. 

I welcome your input 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.