Security Installer Community

Powering down Galaxy panel for adding modules

I know that by the book you should power off and remove the battery leads. When I did this before though I lost all the programmed info (Dimension panel) ans had to do it all again which was a pain obviously.

If I’m careful not to cross wires, how much of a no-no is it adding an Ethernet module with the battery still connected?

Otherwise what would be the cause of the loss of programming info? (card aerator removed from backup battery)

Ethernet module connected, power on and boom, internal siren sounds and none of my updated codes work ?

Any chance of a pointer in case it’s possible to get my programming back? I’d love to know why it doesn’t stay in the EPROM, there is a backup battery.

2 hours ago, Driller said:

Any chance of a pointer in case it’s possible to get my programming back?

There isn't It will have defaulted, the memory back up battery will be flat, (Not just round and flat, but no charge flat) as james.wilson asked when did you last change the button cell?

I don't have a signature.

Sorry, missed your replies. The panel is brand spanking so I’ve never had to change the battery.  Do they arrive flat sometimes from new? (insert Monty Python halibut joke here)

Reprogrammed the whole panel which was good practice. Ethernet module recognised and comme at 100%.

Programmed the IP address at the keypad but it shows up in the router as 0.0.0.0 no matter what I do.

Got SelfMon in anticipation and it was…free??! How’s that then?

Edited by Driller

12 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

If brand new no, if ebay who knows

Definitely not eBay, absolutely legit authorised dealer.

1 hour ago, Monte Carlo said:

There isn't It will have defaulted, the memory back up battery will be flat, (Not just round and flat, but no charge flat) as james.wilson asked when did you last change the button cell?

Lol at the not just round and flat!

Edited by Driller

? Not seen a galaxy for some time, BUT some had a "memory protect switch" if it is open and you down power the panel,.............oops.

I say switch, but its more a piece of bent wire and a hook, really small, and blue.

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Something under the coin cell? Check it's voltage. It shouldn't loose any programming, you should fix that.

Presumably if I take it out with the main battery connected I shouldn’t lose any data! I’ll have a look, looks like a bugger yo get out though…

From new, the "something under the coin cell" was infront of said cell.

The holder is round, and the cell is held in place by a "clip" under this clip was a thin piece of plastic that said remove before use. The clip was actually a terminal that connected to the -ve of the cell, so If there is nothing there..................

But if you want to check, keep the panel powered up, and flip the cell out, just don't lose it.

4 hours ago, Monte Carlo said:

The holder is round, and the cell is held in place by a "clip" under this clip was a thin piece of plastic that said remove before use. The clip was actually a terminal that connected to the -ve of the cell, so If there is nothing there..................

But if you want to check, keep the panel powered up, and flip the cell out, just don't lose it.

Qfa

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I don't work on Galaxy much so can't remember if it's +ve or -ve up, either way worth checking and you shouldn't loose data.

Maybe not from the manufacturer but had new cells come with thin transparent plastic warning stickers that you easily wouldn't notice and/or covered in bitter alice which can have high resistance spots if you don't clean the contact area.

Worse thing about the bitter alice stuff is it can be an intermittent issue but tests fine with meter as the probes are sharp.

18 hours ago, Driller said:

I know that by the book you should power off and remove the battery leads. When I did this before though I lost all the programmed info (Dimension panel) ans had to do it all again which was a pain obviously.

If I’m careful not to cross wires, how much of a no-no is it adding an Ethernet module with the battery still connected?

Otherwise what would be the cause of the loss of programming info? (card aerator removed from backup battery)

What dimension panel? You got picture of the board?

Asbove , a white card normally under the battery tab , button side down from memory if that makes sense 

Never seen this issue before 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked back and saw these replies, thanks for the suggestions gentlemen. 

it’s a Dimension 48 panel. 

On 04/05/2022 at 01:07, Monte Carlo said:

The “clip” is definitely still there and yes as mentioned there was a white, cardboard or plastic strip wedged under the clip with “please remove before use”. Very similar to the plastic strip you have to pull out of the battery compartment of modern remote controls that have these batteries in them.

I’m away from the property for a while but as soon as I get back I’ll get the battery out and both check underneath it and check it’s voltage.

1 hour ago, Driller said:

Just checked back and saw these replies, thanks for the suggestions gentlemen. 

it’s a Dimension 48 panel. 

The “clip” is definitely still there and yes as mentioned there was a white, cardboard or plastic strip wedged under the clip with “please remove before use”. Very similar to the plastic strip you have to pull out of the battery compartment of modern remote controls that have these batteries in them.

I’m away from the property for a while but as soon as I get back I’ll get the battery out and both check underneath it and check it’s voltage.

Dude, before continuing buy an spi key , so you have to manually program each time , then you can mess about easier

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update for anyone with the same problem who finds this thread: Got back on site and popped the coin battery out, measured a good 3V. Put it back and it seemed a bit loose so bent the battery contacts, put the battery back in and did a cold restart: panel now keeps it's configuration, so it was due to loose contacts on memory battery. Very surprising to have this on a brand new panel.

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

the panels probably been drop kicked by DPD or similar before you got it ?

Bought in person over the counter, don’t know whether they use DPD or not. Would have thought there would have been other damage if it was shaken enough to force those spring contacts but the rest of the panel looks fine

Edited by Driller

7 hours ago, Driller said:

Bought in person over the counter, don’t know whether they use DPD or not.

either collected on velvet pillow & lovingly transported to the branch

or

dropped kicked into a sprinter van by a parcel man...

Mr? Veritas God

On 04/08/2022 at 00:41, Driller said:

Update for anyone with the same problem who finds this thread: Got back on site and popped the coin battery out, measured a good 3V. Put it back and it seemed a bit loose so bent the battery contacts, put the battery back in and did a cold restart: panel now keeps it's configuration, so it was due to loose contacts on memory battery. Very surprising to have this on a brand new panel.

Atleast you know how to take battery out with bending pins in future well done ?