Security Installer Community

Scatronic i-onG2SM RKP display text during alarm

Good afternoon.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to change the the text displayed on Scantronic i-onG2SM RKP during a (fire) alarm to indicate the zone with having to enter the user code? I can't find anything on this in the configuration guide, but I'm hoping there is something I've missed.

Thanks,

Mark

Generally intruder alarms are a bit backward in that respect you have to enter the code to see what activated it. Some later panels do display what and where before its disarmed but not the ION

6 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Generally intruder alarms are a bit backward in that respect you have to enter the code to see what activated it. Some later panels do display what and where before its disarmed but not the ION

Thanks for the reply.

It's a shame it's not an option, as in the event of a fire alarm I think it would be helpful to see the location with a quick glance.

50 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

as in the event of a fire alarm I think it would be helpful to see the location with a quick glance.

Not really, as it is an intruder alarm, not a fire alarm, so that means it does not comply with any fire regulations whatsoever. When intruder panels first started  having a "Fire" option, I did think it was a good idea, but now since I have seen too many smoke detectors in the wrong place and not enough sounders, I do not think they are a good idea, as the customer is under the impression they have a fire alarm, which they do not.

I don't have a signature.

If you could, it wouldn't conform with latest intruder regs any more. Maybe it has some BS or EN option for compatiblity?

Connection to an intruder system I would see as an auxiliary, the fire "system" needs to work stand alone without this.

If not you have a potential hazard waiting to happen when you need it most. In a domestic situation I'd be more interested in finding everyone than messing with a keypad.

3 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

If you could, it wouldn't conform with latest intruder regs any more. Maybe it has some BS or EN option for compatiblity?

Connection to an intruder system I would see as an auxiliary, the fire "system" needs to work stand alone without this.

If not you have a potential hazard waiting to happen when you need it most. In a domestic situation I'd be more interested in finding everyone than messing with a keypad.

Is the problem with compatibility with the standards relating to intruder alarms showing the zone, or inclusion of fire alarm functionality?

BS5839-6:2019 seems to be quite positive about the safety advantages of grade C systems over grade D systems, and specifically mentions that grade C systems can be integrated into intruder alarm systems. So, I'm not sure that a grade C system following BS5839-6 incorporated into an intruder alarm is inherently dangerous. However, with the i-onG2SM at least, there do seem to be some difficulties in following all of the recommendations for grade C systems in BS5839-6 using an intruder alarm.

I completely agree about not wanting to have to use the keypad in a fire situation, which is why I had hoped there was a way to automatically display the fire zones (as is required for a grade A fire panels). In my particular situation, a night time fire (or intruder) alarm in the detached garage would need a different response from one in the kitchen, so being quickly aware of the alarm location from the landing RKP would be very helpful.

2 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Is the problem with compatibility with the standards relating to intruder alarms showing the zone, or inclusion of fire alarm functionality?

BS5839-6:2019 seems to be quite positive about the safety advantages of grade C systems over grade D systems, and specifically mentions that grade C systems can be integrated into intruder alarm systems. So, I'm not sure that a grade C system following BS5839-6 incorporated into an intruder alarm is inherently dangerous. However, with the i-onG2SM at least, there do seem to be some difficulties in following all of the recommendations for grade C systems in BS5839-6 using an intruder alarm.

I completely agree about not wanting to have to use the keypad in a fire situation, which is why I had hoped there was a way to automatically display the fire zones (as is required for a grade A fire panels). In my particular situation, a night time fire (or intruder) alarm in the detached garage would need a different response from one in the kitchen, so being quickly aware of the alarm location from the landing RKP would be very helpful.

Then use a decent fire panel with remote panel to display your issue , or an output box that can trigger a zone per area that you get on an app or something