Security Installer Community

EE broadband don't do static IPs-now they tell me!

I have a property with an EE broadband subscription that I took over. Before fitting the ethernet module for the Dimension panel I installed I thought I'd check to make sure the IP was static so I I could ask them to to provide one if necessary.

Answer: "No it's not static"

"Oh can you give me one please?"

"No we don't do that"

`Great. I'm assuming the Galaxy App needs a fixed IP address and anyway I'll want one for the CCTV.

Does anyone know if this will work with a DynDns type service and how reliable/unreliable it's likely to be?

Thanks

Edited by Driller

21 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

have the router do it

CGNAT is done by the provider to provide more connections on a single IP, most mobile data connections have CGNAT.

For a wired connection it's unlikely

If the router can do it then that’s great, I prefer not relying on Windows…

Any advice on which one to go with now that Dyndns has gone?

9 hours ago, james.wilson said:

I use dyndns

On a dimension?

13 hours ago, Driller said:

I have a property with an EE broadband subscription that I took over. Before fitting the ethernet module for the Dimension panel I installed I thought I'd check to make sure the IP was static so I I could ask them to to provide one if necessary.

Answer: "No it's not static"

"Oh can you give me one please?"

"No we don't do that"

`Great. I'm assuming the Galaxy App needs a fixed IP address and anyway I'll want one for the CCTV.

Does anyone know if this will work with a DynDns type service and how reliable/unreliable it's likely to be?

Thanks

Selfmon 

22 hours ago, james.wilson said:

I use dyndns

Thanks James, that was my preferred service considering it's history but I thought it had folded. Nice to see it hasn't!

20 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Most routers have DDNS support.

Some have there own service, or a limited selection of web ones.

Better routers you can manually use pretty much any DDNS service.

Most of the free web ones require you to manually login monthly.

Interesting, you mean no need to take on an external web service? I'll have to see what the standard EE one can do, not much probably so might have to get a better one

12 hours ago, al-yeti said:

On a dimension?

Selfmon 

I couldn't remember the name but yes that's the one I'll go for especially as it's made by Mr Galaxy Guy himself. Unless I've misunderstood, are you suggesting that Selfmon can function on a non-static external IP though?

Edited by Driller

Dyn are a big company, I just don't think they take free accounts any more... if that's what your looking for.

All are external in some way, think of DDNS as an "updating addressbook".

You always ask the book with your password, it forwards you the new location.

When I say own, I mean the router manufacturer may have settings to able one via them, a bit like DVR's have.

2 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Dyn are a big company, I just don't think they take free accounts any more... if that's what your looking for.

When I say own, I mean the router manufacturer may have settings to able one via them, a bit like DVR's have.

Thanks SWB. I'm not necessarily looking for a free DDNS just one that works so going to sign up to Dyndns now. 

10 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I still trying to work out how anyone will use dydns on a dimension , apart from via selfmon