Security Installer Community

How to connect alarm's auto-dialler to my BT line?

I've just installed a new Mk4 Openreach Master Socket onto our phone line. I connected BT's line and the auto-dialler's cable directly together at the Master Socket's terminals.  Is this correct?

The reason I ask is that after installing the new Master Socket, I did a test activation of the alarm to check that ADT was receiving the signal ok.  ADT confirmed that they received it ok, but when I then did an internet speed test, the speed was almost zero!  I used BT's automatic fault-finding system and after it 'Refreshed' my BT Hub, normal internet speed was resumed.

It seems that the auto-dialler somehow upset our internet connection, so is there a better way to connect it? 

Thanks!  Tim

1 hour ago, Bunster said:

I've just installed a new Mk4 Openreach Master Socket onto our phone line. I connected BT's line and the auto-dialler's cable directly together at the Master Socket's terminals.  Is this correct?

The reason I ask is that after installing the new Master Socket, I did a test activation of the alarm to check that ADT was receiving the signal ok.  ADT confirmed that they received it ok, but when I then did an internet speed test, the speed was almost zero!  I used BT's automatic fault-finding system and after it 'Refreshed' my BT Hub, normal internet speed was resumed.

It seems that the auto-dialler somehow upset our internet connection, so is there a better way to connect it? 

Thanks!  Tim

As swb says put the filter on and put the dialler on the extension side terminals 

This will all work until you switch to full fibre and the dialler becomes useless 

Thanks SWB - point taken!

Al-yeti:  Not sure what you mean by "extension side terminals" 

Attached picture of the unit.  Presently, BT line and alarm dialler going to the internal terminals.  Phone and router plugged into the front.  Where exactly should the alarm dialler wires go?

Thanks!

IMG_3646[15902].jpg

13 minutes ago, Bunster said:

Thanks SWB - point taken!

Al-yeti:  Not sure what you mean by "extension side terminals" 

Attached picture of the unit.  Presently, BT line and alarm dialler going to the internal terminals.  Phone and router plugged into the front.  Where exactly should the alarm dialler wires go?

Thanks!

IMG_3646[15902].jpg

I thought this socket had four terminals 

Two on the main incoming where line is where you said you put it, other terminals are normally behind first cover and don't work unless the cover is put back on