Security Installer Community

Shocks and sensitivity

Slickjack

Had a job today where the shocks just would not do their job ? there were 8 installed and only half were acceptable.
We had to knock some of the buggers off the windows to get them to trip.
Apparently the new standards have changed and in turn the minimum sensitivity has increased, gone are the days when a tap with a driver would work on walk testing.
Min setting was 0.14 now 0.40 (not sure what they measure in)
Wire free and set to absolute minimum.

Anyone else had issues lately ?

Edited by Slickjack

EN50131-2-8:2016 I would assume is the standard your referring to?

If you think about it tapping a device with a screwdriver is hardly a break in, so how would that be the correct way to define if the device is fit for purpose or not?

Manufacturers will have a test procedure for setting the sensitivity how do the instructions recommend you test them?

1 hour ago, Slickjack said:

Had a job today where the shocks just would not do their job ? there were 8 installed and only half were acceptable.
We had to knock some of the buggers off the windows to get them to trip.
Apparently the new standards have changed and in turn the minimum sensitivity has increased, gone are the days when a tap with a driver would work on walk testing.
Min setting was 0.14 now 0.40 (not sure what they measure in)
Wire free and set to absolute minimum.

Anyone else had issues lately ?

No I havnt.

Which unit?

Id say normal walk test would be to test it to the extremity of the protected area. I see a lot of other systems where 1 unit is used where 3 are needed

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

13 hours ago, james.wilson said:

to add i have also met sales reps that blame unit performance on reg changes or the regs in general when untrue.

Hkc generally great 

Although anything on wood doors and windows can be a mare when the fire works are going off lol

I had a one on one with the developers and MD from my suppliers and I'm happy with their explanation and the fix that they have now in place.
They have added a further 2 lower sensitivity settings allowing me to set detectors up for all eventualities.

Replacement devices have been dispatched and should be with me by Monday.

Happy days ?

13 hours ago, Slickjack said:

I had a one on one with the developers and MD from my suppliers and I'm happy with their explanation and the fix that they have now in place.
They have added a further 2 lower sensitivity settings allowing me to set detectors up for all eventualities.

Replacement devices have been dispatched and should be with me by Monday.

Happy days ?

What product is it?

On 16/01/2022 at 08:08, al-yeti said:

What product is it?

It was the Orisec covert wire free shocks, we had new ones delivered today.
One of our engineers has them on his work load for this afternoon.
The original ones were fine unless fitted to a door jam or close to a wall, even when set up for concrete they just would not trip (the theory is the harder the surface the less shock needed to trip them) we have been installing these for a while but the new standards had made it hard for us to convince the customer that they were OK.
Orisec have added a further 2 settings to cover our needs, I'll let you know how they are.

9 hours ago, Slickjack said:

It was the Orisec covert wire free shocks, we had new ones delivered today.
One of our engineers has them on his work load for this afternoon.
The original ones were fine unless fitted to a door jam or close to a wall, even when set up for concrete they just would not trip (the theory is the harder the surface the less shock needed to trip them) we have been installing these for a while but the new standards had made it hard for us to convince the customer that they were OK.
Orisec have added a further 2 settings to cover our needs, I'll let you know how they are.

New detectors are a win, happy with the results and our customer is too.
Just need her to pay now ?
On a plus not my efficacy cover is safe lol