Security Installer Community

HomeKit Upgrade

Mike.

Hi,

Over the past few years I've been adding smart devices to my home and thought it might be a fun project to upgrade my intruder alarm by making the PIR sensors visible in HomeKit on iOS. This would allow for automations such as custom trigger events that would flash the lights red and having Alexa hurl abuse at intruders, and perhaps play death metal through my AVR on volume 10. (Other intruder deterrent reccommendations welcome.)

I have already registered some virtual motion sensors which are visible in the Home app, and programmed a microcontroller to send messages over my local network (through WiFi) that can change the state of the virtual sensors. All I need to do now is hook up the GPIO pins on the microcontroller to the PIR sensors so that I can send the appropriate network request when the PIR detects motion.

My alarm system is an Intellisense 800L. I have opened the control panel, I can see the PIR sensor pairs, (blue & yellow wires) but I'm not sure what voltage I'm working with here and exactly what happens when PIR detects motion? Ideally, I need a 3.3v signal so may have to add a voltage regulator to my board and perhaps some kind of isolation to protect the microcontroller.

Any general advice would be appreciated, cheers.

IMG-5217_s.jpg

30 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Hi,

Over the past few years I've been adding smart devices to my home and thought it might be a fun project to upgrade my intruder alarm by making the PIR sensors visible in HomeKit on iOS. This would allow for automations such as custom trigger events that would flash the lights red and having Alexa hurl abuse at intruders, and perhaps play death metal through my AVR on volume 10. (Other intruder deterrent reccommendations welcome.)

I have already registered some virtual motion sensors which are visible in the Home app, and programmed a microcontroller to send messages over my local network (through WiFi) that can change the state of the virtual sensors. All I need to do now is hook up the GPIO pins on the microcontroller to the PIR sensors so that I can send the appropriate network request when the PIR detects motion.

My alarm system is an Intellisense 800L. I have opened the control panel, I can see the PIR sensor pairs, (blue & yellow wires) but I'm not sure what voltage I'm working with here and exactly what happens when PIR detects motion? Ideally, I need a 3.3v signal so may have to add a voltage regulator to my board and perhaps some kind of isolation to protect the microcontroller.

IMG-5217_s.jpg

So your trying to get the alarm to stay working and also get a signal from the pirs to your ha?

Short cut meesed up way of doing it , however ,  you need to upgrade to an alarm that is capable 

Why don't you just fit the pirs available for your ha , and keep the intruder separate ?

Don't use home kit but I integrate with home assistant. Easiest way is to upgrade as its an 800l it's getting on. 

Alternatively I'm guessing the voltage on the zone inputs is 5v. You may be able to pick that up into gpio or use trans relays. 

Alarms should be kept seperate Imo from automation but the sensor info and armed status is great for presence detection 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

Your HA "alarm" won't work without internet or power so its not really an alarm.

A big bag of relay will bodges your 800l onto your HA

However a more commercial alarm panel & a bag of relay is probably a better starting point 

• Upvote 2

Mr? Veritas God

As above there are no benefits using your existing dated system.

However, you can buy HA motion detectors to do what you need and they will work flawlessly.

I have a decent alarm system with input output units coming of my alarm system controlling lights for courtesy, to make sure all lights are off when the system is fully or part armed, and of course to switch on lights in sequences when the system goes into alarm to give the appearance that someone is at home.

I do it this way because I know the limitations of my alarm, but its not the way I would recommend a diyer or an experienced HA'er should do it, most experienced HA guys would laugh at the way Ive done it 

On 01/01/2022 at 12:54, al-yeti said:

So your trying to get the alarm to stay working and also get a signal from the pirs to your ha?

Yes, this is exactly what I'm trying to do.

Short cut meesed up way of doing it , however ,  you need to upgrade to an alarm that is capable

Forgive my ignorance, but why? The PIRs are in perfect working order, despite the alarm not being smarthome friendly, why not use utilise the existing infrastructure?

Why don't you just fit the pirs available for your ha , and keep the intruder separate ?

Because I'm an electronics hobbysist trying to improve my knowledge by engaging in practical applications; I find this is the best way to learn. I do actually own some Phillips Hue Motion Sensors, which are great, but rather than buy more I thought it would be a good excercise to save money and learn a little.

On 01/01/2022 at 13:16, james.wilson said:

Don't use home kit but I integrate with home assistant. Easiest way is to upgrade as its an 800l it's getting on. 

Alternatively I'm guessing the voltage on the zone inputs is 5v. You may be able to pick that up into gpio or use trans relays. 

Alarms should be kept seperate Imo from automation but the sensor info and armed status is great for presence detection 

I agree that the current alarm system is old and in need of an upgrade, however that option is not available to me at the moment, hence the D.I.Y "upgrade".

Thanks for the advise, but I think 5v might damage my board given that it operates on 3.3v. I've done a little research and figured that a simple voltage regulator might be a good solution. I'd like to confirm the input voltage however before purchasing anything. I couldn't find a data sheet or schematics for the 800L - I'm guessing 5v is common for alarm systems?

The 800L is rarely used as it is; we're too lazy to set it and would much prefer having the ability to control via smartphone and/or other automated triggers, such as when all occupants have vacated the premises, which is exactly what HomeKit offers. Essentially this project will replace the brains of our alarm, using existing PIR sensors.

On 01/01/2022 at 14:10, MrHappy said:

Your HA "alarm" won't work without internet or power so its not really an alarm.

A big bag of relay will bodges your 800l onto your HA

However a more commercial alarm panel & a bag of relay is probably a better starting point 

Correct, it will not. But neither will my current alarm because we often forget to set it! Some interesting considerations however. Perhaps I could add a backup battery to my board with low voltage detection, in addition I could add GSM module if the WiFi is offline.

Is there any reason for using a relay instead of a voltage regulator? The voltage coming from PIR is just a signal right? It's not powering anything as such so would imagine there's minimal current?

A more commercial alarm panel would be much more suitable, however that option is not available to me, I would be happy with a DIY upgrade.

Sound like a mess of a way to do it.

If your too lazy to set it then HA isn't going to help much occupancy arming is flawed but I suppose you have little concern for security anyway if that's the issue. Waste of time IMO to be frank.

As for the actual question you would have to interface with relays if your keeping the existing system or just bin the control panel off completely and have 12 volt supply for sensors and then closed loops from the pirs for status GPIO.

It's no longer a security system with the latter option, all the security built in to a tradition alarm would be removed and simple to bypass for a burglar.

On 01/01/2022 at 16:01, PeterJames said:

As above there are no benefits using your existing dated system.

However, you can buy HA motion detectors to do what you need and they will work flawlessly.

I have a decent alarm system with input output units coming of my alarm system controlling lights for courtesy, to make sure all lights are off when the system is fully or part armed, and of course to switch on lights in sequences when the system goes into alarm to give the appearance that someone is at home.

I do it this way because I know the limitations of my alarm, but its not the way I would recommend a diyer or an experienced HA'er should do it, most experienced HA guys would laugh at the way Ive done it 

Yes, I do have some Phillips Hue Motion sensors, which work fine. But I would like a little more coverage and rather than buy more I figured I could use my existing PIR sensors ?

I'm sure experienced HA folk would also laugh at my intentions, but I fret not, as yet I cannot see any reason why tapping into the infrastructure from existing alarm panels is a bad idea. Your setup sounds quite similar to what I'm trying to achieve.

6 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I'm sure experienced HA folk would also laugh at my Phillips Hue Motion sensors,

Fixed

6 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Your setup sounds quite similar to what I'm trying to achieve.

You will need a different panel altogether, but you could still use the existing sensors

@sixwheeledbeast

Thanks for the advice and your perspective. Blearing a siren down my street and annoying the neighbours whilst I'm blisfully unaware is not a useful security system in my eyes. Adding some brains to this unit seems like a good way to improve security without breaking the bank. I agree that occupancy sensing isn't perfect, but I must say that soo far, Apple are doing a fantastic job with HomeKit. My current setup allows for the alarm to be set when we go to sleep, and when the last person has left the house. If motion is detected I will be notified silently, but will have the option to sound the siren if I so desire. Hell I could even have the authorities contacted automatically if I wanted. The possibilities are endless!

You do raise a fair point, and one that I will consider for the future when I'm able to upgrade my alarm system. I'm just trying to have something rather than nothing at this point in time. Forgetting to set the intruder alarm is our number 1 reason for not using the alarm right now, so I guess my aim is to overcome that, and throw in some additional features while I'm at it.

I can understand arming it via ha but I'd never recommend disarming that way

4 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Hell I could even have the authorities contacted automatically if I wanted.

No you couldn't. You need a URN to do that. 

Ive never forgotten to set my alarm .....but then I have seen enough houses that have been burgled in my lifetime to make me not forget.

There are decent alarm systems out there that you can arm by app. But you could just use HA and geofencing via tasker on every ones mobile phone to arm it, if you are that lazy.

Just now, PeterJames said:

Ive never forgotten to set my alarm .....but then I have seen enough houses that have been burgled in my lifetime to make me not forget.

There are decent alarm systems out there that you can arm by app. But you could just use HA and geofencing via tasker on every ones mobile phone to arm it, if you are that lazy.

I guess you could say that I am lucky to not have witnessed such awful happenings in my life, but it comes at great cost to me, considering that I do not associate setting the alarm as an important task, I'm quite forgetful by nature and so I rely on the robots to do it for me.

Geofencing is an option, even more robust when combined with sensing device online presence within the local network. This is what HomeKit does. I'd like to contain the system to as few applications as possible. Currently running Homebridge & NodeRED.

12 minutes ago, Mike. said:

There is a product called konnected Iirc but I can't see the point of it when you can use a panel that can do it directly. You must remember our primary focus here is security and reliability. Most of the time isn't good enough in the security sector

22 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Perhaps I could add a backup battery to my board with low voltage detection, in addition I could add GSM module if the WiFi is offline.

sounds like a pile of poop... 

say you house was instantly destroyed by a meteorite, there's nothing left but a smouldering crater in the ground

there has been nothing signalled from the property yet a proper alarm with proper alarm signalling would inform the keyholders that the system has been lost...  

22 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Is there any reason for using a relay instead of a voltage regulator? The voltage coming from PIR is just a signal right? It's not powering anything as such so would imagine there's minimal current?

The zone circuit from your alarm are positive loop, the sensor has a voltage free relay with series resistor it will measure a certain value dependant on the manufacturer, lets guess at texecom medusa say 18ohms + the value of the cable run circuit will measure 20 ohms 

I neither know or care what voltage comes out of the zone of a 700l, however the sensor will have relay which is probably good for up to 50volts, use the sensor to control a relay for the alarm & relay for the HA

Given a big enough bag of relays you should be able to switch just about anything or have massive electrical fire depending on you ability, however you mickey mouse alarm doesn't really have much in the way of input or outputs

Personally I'd choose an intruder alarm controls & HA system which marry up together... something like control4 & texecom will cost thousands

Mr? Veritas God

20 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Blearing a siren down my street and annoying the neighbours whilst I'm blisfully unaware is not a useful security system in my eyes.

Systems that are unmaintained or poorly fitted will cry wolf but unfortunately there is nothing forcing people to have systems serviced regularly or fitted to any standard.

There are noise pollution regulations but you would have to be regularly disturbing the peace for the council to get an order to contract someone to force entry to silence it.

It's all a false sense of security IMO, at least if a traditional system with an app failed to get the message to you the system would work as expected to deter the burglar from hanging about.