Security Installer Community

Failing scantronic 9800 system

MKS

Hi,

I have a scantronic 9800 alarm system. It has served me well over the last 30 odd years. I installed it myself and have updated it several times over the years. A few weeks ago I noticed that the exit tone had gone from intermittent to continuous. Didn't think to much of it as everything is still working. Then I noticed I was getting the exit sound on B and C part set. When I had some time I decided to check the programming as I also have some new detectors to add. Well the engineering code didn't work. I tried all options including the factory default, no luck. So I opened the alarm and cleared the code using the user code which still works, it isn't the default. I took the NVM chip out and followed the reset procedure for lost engineering code and recommissioned the system and set a "new" engineering code. Everything working fine. All sensors working as expected on walk test and alarm working correctly. All good.....well only for a few days, then the exit tone has reappeared on part set. I suspect the NVM chip is loosing data and may be failing. 

Anyone think I am on the right track?

Is there anything I can do, or is it time to replace the system.

If so what would everyone suggest for a wired system?

Many thanks for any pointers you can offer.

13 hours ago, MKS said:

Hi,

I have a scantronic 9800 alarm system. It has served me well over the last 30 odd years. I installed it myself and have updated it several times over the years. A few weeks ago I noticed that the exit tone had gone from intermittent to continuous. Didn't think to much of it as everything is still working. Then I noticed I was getting the exit sound on B and C part set. When I had some time I decided to check the programming as I also have some new detectors to add. Well the engineering code didn't work. I tried all options including the factory default, no luck. So I opened the alarm and cleared the code using the user code which still works, it isn't the default. I took the NVM chip out and followed the reset procedure for lost engineering code and recommissioned the system and set a "new" engineering code. Everything working fine. All sensors working as expected on walk test and alarm working correctly. All good.....well only for a few days, then the exit tone has reappeared on part set. I suspect the NVM chip is loosing data and may be failing. 

Anyone think I am on the right track?

Is there anything I can do, or is it time to replace the system.

If so what would everyone suggest for a wired system?

Many thanks for any pointers you can offer.

Scantronic ion 40 will probably do what you want , completely different in programming, but once your up and running you should be good to go

If your existing alarm is not working then rip it off and go for gold 

6 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Scantronic ion 40 will probably do what you want , completely different in programming, but once your up and running you should be good to go

If your existing alarm is not working then rip it off and go for gold 

This looks like a good option, thank you.

3 hours ago, james.wilson said:

Assuming the rest of it isn't 30+ years old

some is some isn't. I'll change other bits as they fail

21 hours ago, MKS said:

This looks like a good option, thank you.

some is some isn't. I'll change other bits as they fail

Well once your wiring deol in the detectors , as JW said you 30+? You maybe find plastics brittle so be careful , if your trying to budget