Security Installer Community

Risco wired alarm system with front cover P/N GTEW021B

SMc

Hi, I have a Risco alarm system which is hardwired. The battery backup has failed so I bought a new replacement battery 12V 7Ah Yuasa NP7-12L 

I took the front cover off and was surprised to find a 12V 3.4 Ah battery inside. Although the 12V 7Ah Yuasa will just about fit into the casing, the alarm connectors are too small for the battery terminals. This looked like a red flag to me so I wanted to ask some advice...

Should I bin the bigger NP7 and re-purchase another 12V 3.4Ah battery  ?

Thanks

SMc

Most people think a bigger battery is better, but the transformer is only 1amp so it cant charge a flat 7Ah battery. Plus how long are you planning on having power cuts for ?  8 hours 12 hours 24 hours?  3.4 will cope for around 12 hours on a 5 detector 1 bell 1 keypad system 

Ok thanks Peter, so you advise that I should write off the NP7 and order the smaller one such as the existing flat powersonic PS-1230 if I can find one. I saw on Tayna they had a powersonic PG-12V5.4 with terminal types F1 F2 

thanks

SMc

The L model Yuasa's have larger faston connectors, this is to allow larger discharge currents for other applications that alarm kit wouldn't get near.

If the panel is capable of charging this battery then a larger capacity battery would be fine. This should be checked before replacement anyway as part of a service.

You could replace the faston connectors for larger ones and use the battery in that case, but the simplest option is like for like.

The Powersonic PS-1230 arrived and I popped it in. All is now working perfectly again... I will re-deploy the NP7 12V 7Ah Yuasa battery into my UPS which happens to take exactly those batteries...

Thanks

SMc