Security Installer Community

Beginners Information about Wireless Alarm Systems

This is my first post.  I want to make very basic inquiries about Wireless Alarm Systems which I can not find addressed elsewhere.  Hope this is not too basic.

All Wireless Alarms and Sounders that I can find appear to use DC power.  But how is that supplied.  I am concerned about Fire Risk if an AC adaptor is used in the Attic. 

Is it possible to source a Sounder for a Wireless System that is powered by Mains (with 12v battery back up - as in my previous home with a Wired system).
Batteries : some seem to use common batteries - which then have to be maintained and changed on a regular basis.  I have external insulation do not want to damage by frequently using a ladder to access the Sounder.  Others emply Solar power but is this adequate where - again in my setup - the house is in a terrace and the Sounder will face due East and be tucked under to eaves.  It would be essential to have proper weather protection such as IP65 but I have never seen this specified.   Finally, will Sounders work with different makes of systems - once the signalling is using the same frequency (eg 433MHz).  Can one determine from the specifications if Sounder and Alarm are compatible.   

Solar might be a problem as house faces East and Box will be under eaves

Are we talking professional kit? If so...

Systems vary based on manufacturer but power source for the panel is generally mains connection to a switch mode power supply with some DC output to the PCB. This is contained within the panels cabinet.

External sounders could be completely wireless or possibly have option for wired back to the panel in standard alarm cable with 12v connection (these would also have battery). They are suitable for external weather but are not IP rated.

Batteries are mostly Lithium disposable and would have to be replaced periodically. External sounder batteries vary from manufacturer and can be special.

Wireless would usually tie you to that manufacturer for wireless components, so all products need to be from the same product line, industry are mostly 868Mhz now but that doesn't mean you can mix products.

I would generally use a hybrid system, wire as much as I can and use wireless only where necessary.

Thanks for very quick response.  I am certainly Non Professional aspiring to junior Alarm DIY Status.    I was thinking of buying Sounder first as now builder will install into External Insulation and then I can take leisure to purchase the System.  Hence query on compatibility.   Should one buy a skeleton system initially and then expand. 

First can I check my understanding of WIRELESS.  It would appear that the term can be applied to both the Power Supply and of course Signalling to Sounder.  When you say "Completely Wireless"  that means Both Power and Signalling both supplied without wiring. 

You mention SMPS.  Do I understand correctly :  Mains to SMPS then take 12V DC to PCB in Control Panel.   Now option exists of powering Sounder with 12V by wire to CP, or batteries or Solar.   Are SMPS integrated into CPs or are the separate units.   

My house revamped and redecorated so challenging to now install wiring from CP to Attic.

Does 868 have a drawback in that less penetration of higher frequencies.

Is Solar adequate - as in my case direct light for say 4 - 5 hours .  Then would system be at risk of false alarms etc due to low Sounder power ?

Thanks so much - I am learning already - never knew about SMPS until now - was thinking of simple plug-in mains !

The is little point in transmitting power via a cable without messages. Completely wireless is no wiring, it's wired or wireless option per device. A wire would be multicore and provide power and trigger, tamper signals back to control panel.

The SMPS is part of the control panel normally with proprietary or some molex connector as SMPS will need to provide fault output to conform to standards.

Never seen any pro kit utilise solar it's a bit pointless kit has to be designed for all environments. It's also designed in a way that it can't be tampered with, or power removed without triggering an alert on the system.

DIY stuff doesn't have standards to conform to so can often be easily defeated.

Thanks for confirming my doubt about a Solar Sounder.  I am certainly not a pro but I studied electrical engineering yonks ago.  My house has been revamped; new windows / doors,  new plaster new and paint.  Hence reluctance and difficulty running wires from Panel to Attic / Sounder.  Mains is present in Attic and it would be great to use that in a Sounder.

Wireless Mains Powered External Sounder :

I have found such a Sounder online Visonic 0-101608 MCS-730 Wireless Mains Powered External Sounder, Two-way, Fully Wireless Outdoor Siren. The MCS-730 AC comes complete with a 9V AC transformer, being mains powered the sounder offers increased time between battery changes.  Very good outdoor rating IP55. 2 diversity antenna.  Could this meet with my requirement of fully wireless detectors and wireless 2 way signalling in Sounder with Mains supply - easily available in attic.   Question is to select the remaining system.  In Which magazine, Visonic systems do not get a great review.   

What I want is Good quality alarm system for a standard 3 bed 2 storey S/D (~90m2) - Wireless detectors and Mains power Sounder as described.  Non subscription app for control.  DIY installation possible.  Is it permitted for this community to make specific recommendations.  If not can anyone make suggestions about where or what to search for.  Thanks a lot .

I would wire the bell in alarm cable myself.

I don't have any parts in mind to suit your full list of requirements.

Had to fit those Mains sounders on one job in the past and I wouldn't recommend them at all.

I am also pretty sure they are discontinued with no direct replacement, the 740 is batteries.

Fundamental question - for most Sounders in Wireless systems - does the Panel signal the Sounder using 433 / 866 or simply uses the DC feed itself from the Panel (which I presume is hardly likely). 

If the DC is purely for power then how about I install suitable SMPS in attic to convert Attic Mains to provide the DC.  Then I can forget about being restricted to "Mains Supplied Sounders".   

So any recommendations for Professional Wireless System that might be possible for DIY installation

thanks for comments to date

As I said in my OP, for wireless its batteries only, transmission via radio. Alternatively you could wire with alarm cable signalling via wiring the latter would be considered a "hybrid" system.

Having the power supply outside of the sounder casing would be a security issue. Wired ones are self contained with a "hold-off" that would activate if the cable is cut for this reason.

1 hour ago, phoneman007 said:

So any recommendations for Professional Wireless System that might be possible for DIY installation

Not that you can buy as DIY but there are a few people that recommend Texecom or Pyronix, I dont know these products well enough to recommend them but on paper they are far superior to the DIY tat

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, phoneman007 said:

Non subscription app for control.

8 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Not that you can buy as DIY but there are a few people that recommend Texecom or Pyronix, I dont know these products well enough to recommend them but on paper they are far superior to the DIY tat

Texecom is now installer registered for Smartcom app. V1 Smartcom app is no longer available for new installs.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Texecom is now installer registered for Smartcom app. V1 Smartcom app is no longer available for new installs.

As I said, I dont know the products that well, its unlikely the OP will find a decent brand with a non subscription ap. Though, I would not recommend a non subscription app either, the ones that were free were always going down and because they were not being charged for the manufacturers were in no hurry to fix them.

• Upvote 1

install pyronix enforcer in a cupboard, plug it in using a 3 pin plug. fit the wireless sab outside, wherever is easiest, remember that you will need to get back up to the bell every year or two(dependant on single/dual frequency) to replace battery. add wireless arming stations and detection devices to suit.. current enforcers have wifi built in, so you can access cloud via home wifi and pyronix cloud app. (recomend a UPS for the wifi router in ccase of power cut..). i personally prefer a pyronix 46 and wireless zem setup...

Edited by Zimmerphrame-

On 16/10/2021 at 15:17, phoneman007 said:

Thanks for confirming my doubt about a Solar Sounder.  I am certainly not a pro but I studied electrical engineering yonks ago.  My house has been revamped; new windows / doors,  new plaster new and paint.  Hence reluctance and difficulty running wires from Panel to Attic / Sounder.  Mains is present in Attic and it would be great to use that in a Sounder.

Wireless Mains Powered External Sounder :

I have found such a Sounder online Visonic 0-101608 MCS-730 Wireless Mains Powered External Sounder, Two-way, Fully Wireless Outdoor Siren. The MCS-730 AC comes complete with a 9V AC transformer, being mains powered the sounder offers increased time between battery changes.  Very good outdoor rating IP55. 2 diversity antenna.  Could this meet with my requirement of fully wireless detectors and wireless 2 way signalling in Sounder with Mains supply - easily available in attic.   Question is to select the remaining system.  In Which magazine, Visonic systems do not get a great review.   

What I want is Good quality alarm system for a standard 3 bed 2 storey S/D (~90m2) - Wireless detectors and Mains power Sounder as described.  Non subscription app for control.  DIY installation possible.  Is it permitted for this community to make specific recommendations.  If not can anyone make suggestions about where or what to search for.  Thanks a lot .

Ooooo not had good experiances with visonic stuff personally... problem with non-sub app is a possible lack of security... security features on an app costs money- what with secure servers etc.. no manafacturer will give that away for free..

• 2 months later...

Any one tried the Orisec wire free kit ?
We moved to Orisec last year when our then current supplier decided to pull all the lines we used and left us high n dry.
20 installs later and I have to say its better than most other stuff we've looked at and tried.
Free App that our customers love too.

6 hours ago, Slickjack said:

Any one tried the Orisec wire free kit ?
We moved to Orisec last year when our then current supplier decided to pull all the lines we used and left us high n dry.
20 installs later and I have to say its better than most other stuff we've looked at and tried.
Free App that our customers love too.

What was other line?

• 9 months later...

Thanks for your additional comment a year later. Lets just say the remark wasn't solely about the plug top...

A plug top could actually conform, provided it was secured from accidental disconnection.

Also who knows what qualifications, competence or other help the non-trade that post here have.

It's in the DIY section, they may want to wire it in wet string via a bathroom....

Being trade we explain how it should be, any one with basic DIY skills can throw wireless kit on the wall wrong.