Security Installer Community

Dome camera spots on lens and too much cleaning and maintenance due to spots on the lens- how to eliminate spots permanently

Hi Guys,

I have the Dome camera and the one at the back where it is very dark, as it is Alleyway, the camera gets spots and the visibility is not that clear. I was told this happens due to infra red giving off heat and causing spots on the lens and the visibility is not clear as it should and lot of regular cleaning to do due to white spots appears. I wish i went for Turret camera to avoid this issue. My front dome camera is ok, as i dont have any issue, as i live on the main road and the road lightning might be helping and not using much of the IR light, so no white spots on this camera. It is only happening on the rear of the property and 2 dome camera i am having issue.

I have temporarily added some some sponge around the IR and it has helped, image is better, but may be the infra red may have reduce due to covering the sponge and reduce the white spots. I still do get white spots.

so what is the permanent soultion or what else i can do.

Many thanks.

IMG_6650.jpg

IMG_6651.jpg

IMG_6652.jpg

IMG_6653.jpg

IMG_6655.jpg

IMG_6653- highlighted.jpg

IMG_6655- high.jpg

4 minutes ago, CARETAKER46 said:

Hi Guys,

I have the Dome camera and the one at the back where it is very dark, as it is Alleyway, the camera gets spots and the visibility is not that clear. I was told this happens due to infra red giving off heat and causing spots on the lens and the visibility is not clear as it should and lot of regular cleaning to do due to white spots appears. I wish i went for Turret camera to avoid this issue. My front dome camera is ok, as i dont have any issue, as i live on the main road and the road lightning might be helping and not using much of the IR light, so no white spots on this camera. It is only happening on the rear of the property and 2 dome camera i am having issue.

I have temporarily added some some sponge around the IR and it has helped, image is better, but may be the infra red may have reduce due to covering the sponge and reduce the white spots. I still do get white spots.

so what is the permanent soultion or what else i can do.

Many thanks.

IMG_6650.jpg

IMG_6651.jpg

IMG_6652.jpg

IMG_6653.jpg

IMG_6655.jpg

IMG_6653- highlighted.jpg

IMG_6655- high.jpg

Spin the dome section round ?

Sounds like IR "splashback". IR's are reflecting back off the bubble.

The tolerance between the bubble and foam maybe off. need to make sure the foam is in contact with the bubble

You may also have this issue due to the acute angle of the camera, reflecting off nearby surfaces or within it's metal casing, so reduce the angle.

If it's still an issue replace for different type and use that one elsewhere.

If i spin the camera, then it will monitor the sky, as i tried so many position, but it did not help. do you mean spin the dome lens, i can try this to see if the holes matches, but it may the white spots appear on the new area of the Dome glass.

There was small foam, but i added another foam , as you can see from my 1st message, where i highlighted in green and red where another sponge type cushion is added around the existing foam.

Please see image of the white spot and during the day it is fine, only Night time have the issue and front dome camera is fine not issue at night, as this is on the main road and it is lit up.

camera 6-a.PNG

camera 6 daylight.PNG

camera 1.PNG

camera 6.PNG

camera 7.PNG

Edited by CARETAKER46

Do you have an identical camera in site?

Swap the covers just to make sure it's the issue your describing and not the problem with the dome perspex part itself 

Yes I meant loosen the dome on the cover and spin it round 

Although the last pic also suggests what swb has said

Hi Al Yeti,

Thank you for your reply.

yes i have the identical dome camera.

When it was fitted it was all good and i have cleaned the camera lens and the Dome cover and then after a while it just gets white spot and fuzzy during the night time, during the day it is ok, so it may be the IR reflective.

Like you said i will change the cover and see how if it makes a difference.

IR's are reflecting back off the bubble, where is the Bubble on the camera ?

so last picture where SWB mentioned i need to move the camera angle away from the wall, as this Camera 7 facing the yard and there is no obstruction.