Security Installer Community

Areas, Zones & Suite fun!

Mr Pete

Hi all,

I'm having an extension built, and have had some new alarm wiring added to link it up to my alarm.

As the alarm was a Veritas R8C, it only had 8 zones, with 7 in use, and I need 11, and wanted an additional keypad, so I've gone for a Texecom Premier Elite 24 with an 8XE plug-on expander and a SmartComm connect.

The R8C was using a tamper loop, and the PE24 is EOL.

The old zones are now all connected to the new panel, and I've (temporarily) switched the PIRs to be "Normally Closed" so they function until I add in some resistors and modify the wiring.  All bar one PIR is working.

Both old and new zones are a mix of door contact sensor & PIRs.

I have (so far) setup the main house as "Area A" (which covers Zones 1-7) and the extension as "Area B" (which covers 9-12 - all on the expander).

The extension might wind up being used as an "annex/granny flat", where in future a user could only arm area B - with other users arming area A (or both).

Zone 1 is the Area A door contact set as Entry/Exit 1, with Zone 2 the hall PIR set as Guard Access.

Zone 9 is the Area B door contact set as Entry/Exit 2, with Zone 10 as the nearby area PIR set as Guard Access.

My users are set with access for Areas A&B, and my keypads are set for Areas A&B too - so you could entry/leave by either door.  Keypads are near both doors, covered by the Zone 2/10 PIRs.

When I tried a full arm, and opened/closed Zone 1, it armed Area A, then went to **STAY ARMED** but refused to do anything with Area B....

If I want to be flexible to allow either door to be used, but maintain separate zones....what am I missing? ?

Clues welcome ?

If both areas are Final Door you can't arm everything from one location. Entry/Exit 1 and 2 are just different timers not necessarily routes.

I would suggest to either set it up as one system all A for now and then in future if you need to separate it into two systems you can use areas and local arming so it would be like having two systems.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  If I set it all as one Area (for a bit) then presume it can still have both Entry/Exit doors?

I've (temporarily) got Area B set as "Timed Exit", as it's less likely we'll be using that door - but conscious it will just transfer the problem if I exited via the Area B door ?