Security Installer Community

Home Alarm

Elena

I have Scantronic 9930 home alarm it is keep going off today I use the password that works but 1-2 minutes later it just goes off and off again and again. This is the 6th time happened past 20 mins today. I dont understand what is wrong with it. Can someone help me before I lose my mind?

4 minutes ago, Elena said:

I recently moved to this house so I don’t know when it was last serviced I am guessing maybe 2-3 years ago. Can you explain me what is tamper fault ? If you are correct how this can be fixed ? Thank you for your reply.

That's difficult, could be cable , Amy of the detectors , bell box , PSU fault and so on 

Hence why calling an engineer is quicker , you may have it displayed on keypad what the fault is when it goes off

Tamper is a 24 hour circuit designed to let you know if someone is tampering with the alarm. If a cable is damaged, the bell is damaged, detectors or door contacts are damaged the alarm will go off. When you say its going off does it stop on its own accord or do you have to enter your code to stop the noise?

It maybe best to find an installer that works on Scantronic systems in your area. Explain you need a service but you also have a fault occurring while the system is disarmed.

Further diagnosis would depend on what is wrong, but an engineer would start with looking at the fault displayed on the keypad and testing all the wiring and panel vitals with a multimeter to get some idea and then work from there.

Also .. if you are a tenant in the house ask the landlord before you do anything.

Systems would be recommended for inspection and batteries checked annually, then replaced on average every 5 year. Unmaintained systems are a headache waiting to happen at 4am.

If you don't wish to use the system at all in the future, then best to have the system decommissioned rather than it consuming electricity and causing issues like this for you in the future.

33 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Also .. if you are a tenant in the house ask the landlord before you do anything.

Systems would be recommended for inspection and batteries checked annually, then replaced on average every 5 year. Unmaintained systems are a headache waiting to happen at 4am.

If you don't wish to use the system at all in the future, then best to have the system decommissioned rather than it consuming electricity and causing issues like this for you in the future.

40 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

It maybe best to find an installer that works on Scantronic systems in your area. Explain you need a service but you also have a fault occurring while the system is disarmed.

Further diagnosis would depend on what is wrong, but an engineer would start with looking at the fault displayed on the keypad and testing all the wiring and panel vitals with a multimeter to get some idea and then work from there.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try and find an engineer before this happens again.

2 hours ago, PeterJames said:

Tamper is a 24 hour circuit designed to let you know if someone is tampering with the alarm. If a cable is damaged, the bell is damaged, detectors or door contacts are damaged the alarm will go off. When you say its going off does it stop on its own accord or do you have to enter your code to stop the noise?

I have to enter the code to stop it other wise it just never stops it is very noisy as well so I never actually waited a long time to see if it is actually stops itself.

3 hours ago, al-yeti said:

That's difficult, could be cable , Amy of the detectors , bell box , PSU fault and so on 

Hence why calling an engineer is quicker , you may have it displayed on keypad what the fault is when it goes off

Probably I need to do that. What do you think about the cost of something like this since I don't know about the alarms and this kind of stuff I don't want them to charge me a lot more than needed. Thanks for replying.

Edited by Elena