Security Installer Community

Locked NVM

Hi chaps, just wondering what are your views on locking panel ? I can't really see any reasons other than making the next installer's life difficult. I have had the case recently when the panel had to be replaced but the client was never consulted or told about it. Anyone know what the regs are ?

42 minutes ago, frenchman said:

Hi chaps, just wondering what are your views on locking panel ? I can't really see any reasons other than making the next installer's life difficult. I have had the case recently when the panel had to be replaced but the client was never consulted or told about it. Anyone know what the regs are ?

I lock every panel since I moved to hkc and every higher end texecom I find is also locked 

It's all good best way 

Also happy to release to an installer 

Its better to lock to protect the company and insurer etc. Plus the programming belongs to the maintainer.

eg SIA lock all but do default on request. If the ex client doesnt want to pay for the default, boards are defaulted foc at the office.

Issues with gear is how they are programmed, passwords used in onvif, how systems are setup etc. Plus incoming company should always default to know it is programmed to their requirements with the client that may have changed. Had a conversation recently regarding this and there is the potential for liability issues for the outgoing company 'if' the incoming company can prove they didnt change xyz option.

Always better to default on leaving and incoming

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

14 hours ago, frenchman said:

Anyone know what the regs are ?

there ain't none, however there are a set of big boys rules....

when taking other peoples tat over you either have to the product knowledge of how to over come any lock or quirks of the product 

or have enough £ in the job to put your own stuff in from either the start or retain the subscriber for enough years to make it pay..

confiture demain, as you might say ?

Sadly a few hundred quid for new control can be a problem as the subscribers can be living had to month with the latest I-Phones, Range Rovers & shirt sponsoring the local professional sports team... taking priority 

Edited by MrHappy
  • Upvote 4

Mr? Veritas God

20 hours ago, MrHappy said:

or have enough £ in the job to put your own stuff in from either the start or retain the subscriber for enough years to make it pay..

If you have neither then its probably not worth taking over

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, frenchman said:

Surely the panel belongs to the client so you would need his approval to potentially refrain him from using it as he wishes ?

So what about your 

Smart TV

Car

Washing machine

The list can go on , and sure you can get sometimes odd password turn up on internet but your talking about a"security" device 

Simply put if the sub wants the eng code then he should know that you hold no responsibility for the system and nothing is warranteed you would have to be crazy to do it 

If they already have code it's difficult to take it from them, but if you have contract of service to provide them , I wonder does it comply when you have a contract that sub has access to main settings?

Alarm monkeys? Does it matter to your efficacy insurance that you allow the sub to keep the engineer code ?  Or I am looking at it the wrong way ?

1 hour ago, al-yeti said:

Alarm monkeys? Does it matter to your efficacy insurance that you allow the sub to keep the engineer code ?

your not covered

Also a panel can be defaulted etc when its got a support contract on it, reprogrammed and the maintainer has all the liability without any control of how its programmed.

I do agree that systems (all programmable devices) should be defaulted on maintainer change. As above this can be foc or a site visit. I suppose its similar with locked phones.

An installer has invested in training, support and even how to make x work with y. That information and knowledge belongs to that person/company. The bit of kit belongs to whoever bought it and can be used how they see fit.

A lot of equipment now also has other passwords, security questions etc stored in it, remote codes all sorts. All this needs defaulting once the maintainer has lost control of it. 

• Upvote 1

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

6 hours ago, al-yeti said:

So what about your 

Smart TV

Car

Washing machine

The list can go on , and sure you can get sometimes odd password turn up on internet but your talking about a"security" device 

Simply put if the sub wants the eng code then he should know that you hold no responsibility for the system and nothing is warranteed you would have to be crazy to do it 

If they already have code it's difficult to take it from them, but if you have contract of service to provide them , I wonder does it comply when you have a contract that sub has access to main settings?

Alarm monkeys? Does it matter to your efficacy insurance that you allow the sub to keep the engineer code ?  Or I am looking at it the wrong way ?

Sorry mate, I was talking about locking the NVM to prevent defaulting rather than the engineer code. Totally agree with you on this though, engineer code can't be given out

30 minutes ago, frenchman said:

Sorry mate, I was talking about locking the NVM to prevent defaulting rather than the engineer code. Totally agree with you on this though, engineer code can't be given out

What's difference ? Lol

Currently locking engineer is locking nvm 

8 hours ago, frenchman said:

Surely the panel belongs to the client so you would need his approval to potentially refrain him from using it as he wishes ?

Should the equipment be the subscribers property & they choose to move to another co. who is incapable of doing the job without asking for me to hold their hand...

They can send me the pcb & I will restore it to the manufactured defaults ?

Mr? Veritas God

14 hours ago, MrHappy said:

Should the equipment be the subscribers property & they choose to move to another co. who is incapable of doing the job without asking for me to hold their hand...

They can send me the pcb & I will restore it to the manufactured defaults ?

Not my point, I was coming at it more from an ethical point of view, but yeah whatever you say

2 hours ago, frenchman said:

I was coming at it more from an ethical point of view

Business is business,  if the subscriber is unhappy or has a better offer, cheerio & good luck to them

its up to the incoming co. to do their homework,

I'd say its unethical to be asking for more £ from the subscriber if you need to replace a locked pcb ?

58 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I have no issue with it as long as the company don't go pop and leave customers with locked panels.

does a "locked product" stop you taking it over...

Mr? Veritas God

3 hours ago, frenchman said:

Not my point, I was coming at it more from an ethical point of view, but yeah whatever you say

Flipping the ethical view, it'd be unethical for a business not to protect itself and subsequently it's employees against claims. Also as mentioned the programing is the intellectual property of the company, not the client. 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

2 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I have no issue with it as long as the company don't go pop and leave customers with locked panels.

Found a few texecom in recent year like that, cutomer told and quoted to replaced panels by others.

Only panel we cant unlock is a Orisec not looked at them enough yet, but need to as they seam to be the panel of the moment.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

36 minutes ago, Nova-Security said:

Found a few texecom in recent year like that, cutomer told and quoted to replaced panels by others.

Only panel we cant unlock is a Orisec not looked at them enough yet, but need to as they seam to be the panel of the moment.

You can unlock the hkc ? Nah man lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2021 at 17:58, frenchman said:

Dis donc, mais qu’est ce que tu fous ici sur ce forum de installateurs Rosbifs??!! T’es dingue ou quoi? ?

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, frenchman said:

Haha, j habite ici mec, y a des bons tuyaux des fois ! T'es a Bath ?

Putain, mais je le crois pas! T’es un vrai en plus lol Oui je suis dans le coin de Bath et son compagne mais je passe plus de temp en France quand même. Et toi t’es où? Ça fait bizarre un Francais dans le secirité Anglais quand même! ?