Security Installer Community

Keyless Car Theft

Im sure many of your clients have had this happen to them, how do you lot advise against it, do you drive a keyless car etc?

Mine isnt keyless and i wouldnt want one but i get the convenience of it. However im still astounded new cars are sold with the same tech that allows relay or easy key cloning.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Previous Volvo had it, just kept the key in the middle of the house.

Quite a few now go inactive when not moved for a few minutes. Current car needs to be pressed for lock/unlock but can be left in my pocket. 

Obvious one is a Faraday pouch but they vary in quality and also deteriorate over time. 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Good for selling CCTV and also recommend drive bollards if they have keyless. I wouldn't have one, don't do contactless cards either.

Usually recommend putting keys in fridge, microwave could cause a pop if switched on for some strange reason.

Hard drive antistatic bags work ok for contactless cards and light sets of keys.

Even without keys in range some cars will disappear if targeted before hand and no physical security.

I'd let them take mine before fitting bollards on the drive tbf. I've done contactless for years but rarely use them now, I have all my cards on the phone for nfc now for a few years. 

Only issue I had with contactless was for months I'd been using the company cc at the supermarket, both cards in my wallet and depending on which way I held the wallet to the machine it swiped one or the other.

Only realised when I took an ironing board back for a refund and they couldn't put it on my card. 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

I have a garage which although wireless isnt keyless, its also alarmed. My key never leaves my pocket which means its not that close to the outside world, Ive seen the vids. My worry is going on holiday and parking it at the hotel, Ive been mostly lucky with my hotel rooms so far though high enough to be out of reach, but still able to see the carpark from the room. The fezza isnt keyless but it isnt that practical for anything other than a weekend away 

I've had my car attempted twice but fortunately both times they failed. Always put key in faraday box. After first attempt I had the ghost immobiliser fitted as was fuming and angry. After second failed attempt was toying with the idea of a bollard behind car but thought they've failed twice and not got past the first layer of security so just left as it was. Very clear Cctv on second attempt but police not interested as he had a mask on so couldn't positive id him even though very distinctive jacket and clear audio ??‍♂️

On 23/07/2021 at 16:37, PeterJames said:

I have a garage which although wireless isnt keyless, its also alarmed. My key never leaves my pocket which means its not that close to the outside world, Ive seen the vids. My worry is going on holiday and parking it at the hotel, Ive been mostly lucky with my hotel rooms so far though high enough to be out of reach, but still able to see the carpark from the room. The fezza isnt keyless but it isnt that practical for anything other than a weekend away 

Give to Boyz who on are install they will look after it for you?

Edited by al-yeti

• 2 months later...
On 22/07/2021 at 22:40, sixwheeledbeast said:

Good for selling CCTV and also recommend drive bollards if they have keyless. I wouldn't have one, don't do contactless cards either.

Usually recommend putting keys in fridge, microwave could cause a pop if switched on for some strange reason.

Hard drive antistatic bags work ok for contactless cards and light sets of keys.

Even without keys in range some cars will disappear if targeted before hand and no physical security.

a thief can use a booster, to boost signal for keys, where ever they are in the house..