al-yeti

Dudes an issue 

Setup is 

32way NVR 1st floor

8way Poe switch + router

32way NVR gnd floor

Remote Poe switch warehouse

Remote Poe switch reception

So every now and then all the cameras fed from the ground floor switches, will start to drop the cameras out , sometimes a few and sometimes all of them come and go

It corrects, if you either disconnect the uplink from the warehouse switch or if you power cycle it , 

The cameras are affected on both nvrs at same time, other than that it sits quite happily, even when mixing a brand of nvrs it didn't make a difference one time there were three nvrs but problem persists, although I understand it seems as though it's not the nvrs at all ,just giving you extra info

20odd cameras but it occurs even with just 10cameras on system if we take some off 

What do you think? 

Edited by al-yeti

3 hours ago, PeterJames said:

Sounds like bandwidth, can you drop the bitrate on the cams a bit?

You mean on the cameras themselves ? Or via NVR settings , cameras is possible yes 

27 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

And are the cameras happy dual streaming. Is the stream exactly the same to both nvrs

Yes , setting the stream on NVR , or recording bit rates etc are the same , lowering one makes no difference

Remember both nvrs will show the drops same time 

2 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I'd also be thinking bandwidth.

Does it have it's own infra or are you on a network with other stuff? Are all the uplinks suitable for the bandwidth?

All the switches are linked together and a single point to the router 

Single cable going from warehouse to a gigabit switch from warehouse to first floor 

I should have said all nvrs and switches link to a gigabit switch first floor 

Disconnecting the warehouse switch above or at switch momentarily will solve problem until it decides to occur again

My thinking was bandwidth , do you think syst.cpuld benefit with a dual uplink? As there is a spate network cable going from warehouse switch to first floor I could try and get a switch with dual uplink

not sure how dual uplinks work tho?

2 hours ago, PeterJames said:

If you drop the bitrate alot at each cam and it fixes it then you know for sure its bw. If it does nothing its a dodgy switch or low uplink somewhere

Ok will give that a gobut this might sound daft 

If I already have a cat5/6 cable 30m run connected to gigabit switches 

How do increase the uplink bandwidth ? 

With dual uplink switch?

14 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Ok will give that a gobut this might sound daft 

If I already have a cat5/6 cable 30m run connected to gigabit switches 

How do increase the uplink bandwidth ? 

With dual uplink switch?

Im not sure on dual uplink,never used one. But a dodgy switch can cause issues, like a motorway full of vehicles going into a single track 

8 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Im not sure on dual uplink,never used one. But a dodgy switch can cause issues, like a motorway full of vehicles going into a single track 

I get you

I suppose 10gb switches are possible , but expensive 

A dodgy or misconfigured anything on the network "could" cause it. Have to try and isolate to narrow it down somehow.

You should be able to calculate what bandwidth should be on each link if you add up all the equipment.

I guess these are unmanaged switches so you can't look at logs or change any QoS/Bandwidth settings etc.

9 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

A dodgy or misconfigured anything on the network "could" cause it. Have to try and isolate to narrow it down somehow.

You should be able to calculate what bandwidth should be on each link if you add up all the equipment.

I guess these are unmanaged switches so you can't look at logs or change any QoS/Bandwidth settings etc.

Correct all unmanaged 

But I get what your all saying , thanks for the guidance will look into it