Security Installer Community

Replacing smoke detectors on a Galaxy 2-20

ColSpark

Hello

I'm hoping some kind person on here can help me.  I'm a sparky with a decent, but not brilliant, knowledge of alarms.  I've been roped into a little alarm job for a regular customer.  I've tried to read up on the issue but have got completely stuck.

My customer has a Galaxy 2-20, it has 2 smoke detectors branded as Thorn SGU601 (but I believe the SGU601 was also made under other brand names including Microtech).

I want to replace the smoke detectors with new but I can't get hold of the SGU601 so I'm proposing to fit Texecom Exodus detectors.  The existing detectors have 5 terminals as follows: M (monitor), R (return), L (0v), L1 (12v) and L2 (not sure what this is - 12v out?).  It is currently wired with 2 resistors as per the manufacturers instructions - see the diagram below.

How would this translate to the Texecom smoke detector which has terminals for monitor, return, 0v and 12v, tamper in and tamper out?

Secondary question - is it possible to add additional detectors on the same zone, and if so how?

Thanks in advance to you awesome alarm engineers ?

image.png

Edited by ColSpark

Issue with Exodus is they don't have built in sounders so if the system sounder fails you have no fire alarm, not good.

Wouldn't advise having multiple devices on one zone if you can't latch them.

Would just wire like any normal sensor(s) but they don't have a tamper switch, so that would just terminate to a spare terminal then back to the panel.

On 15/06/2021 at 15:20, ColSpark said:

Hello

I'm hoping some kind person on here can help me.  I'm a sparky with a decent, but not brilliant, knowledge of alarms.  I've been roped into a little alarm job for a regular customer.  I've tried to read up on the issue but have got completely stuck.

My customer has a Galaxy 2-20, it has 2 smoke detectors branded as Thorn SGU601 (but I believe the SGU601 was also made under other brand names including Microtech).

I want to replace the smoke detectors with new but I can't get hold of the SGU601 so I'm proposing to fit Texecom Exodus detectors.  The existing detectors have 5 terminals as follows: M (monitor), R (return), L (0v), L1 (12v) and L2 (not sure what this is - 12v out?).  It is currently wired with 2 resistors as per the manufacturers instructions - see the diagram below.

How would this translate to the Texecom smoke detector which has terminals for monitor, return, 0v and 12v, tamper in and tamper out?

Secondary question - is it possible to add additional detectors on the same zone, and if so how?

Thanks in advance to you awesome alarm engineers ?

image.png

Just 0v , 12v , resistors on the relay points with the a terminated tamper if that's the right way of saying it, like you would a door switch with no tamper switch